Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone see "TOP GEAR" (off topic)..

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by diesel4me, Oct 6, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I watched that "Top Gear" show from britan on discovery last night--the host drove an Audi with a V8 twin turbo TDI diesel 800 miles on ONE TANK of diesel--19.8 gallons I think he said (less than 20 anyway!)..I thought that was pretty amazing fuel mileage for a V8 diesel with 2 turbos!..granted,he did drive very carefully and avoided using any accessories or the brakes as much as possible--but it goes to show just how economical a diesel can be!.. :bow:
    Wish my 6.2 got that kind of milage,and had 2 turbos!... :thinking: :tongue1:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I watched the one where he 'raced' the high speed Euro train from Surrey England to Monte Carlo in an Aston Martin DB9. He beat the train there by less than 3 minutes...

Don't forget they'd be using the imperial gallon which is 4.54 litres rather than the much smaller US gallon which is only 3.78 litres. 19.8 Imperial gallons is 23.8 US gallons.

Rene

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ah-ha!!

I knew there was a catch!..but still,its pretty amazing to drive 800 miles on that amount of fuel!(23.8 gallons isn't that much for that distance!)...and still have V8 power !..I like that show,except I can't understand some of the things they say due to the british accent!..but I think they really put the cars thru the paces and dont hold anything back when they get one out on the test track!!.

.I enjoyed the one where they had to spend 24 hrs in a small subcompact ..they have some pretty neat cars overseas that we never get to see...I saw a neat 3 wheeler that was like half car,and half motorcycle on one show--the host loved it!..I'd like to have one myself!..

I figured it out once--I'd thought of driving my VW Jetta diesel to Tennesee a few years ago when it was 1.76 a gallon..assuming I got the usual 43 mpg highway,I could have gone one way (nearly 1200 miles) for about 50 bucks!...even in that thing today it would be well over 100 bucks now...hate to see what my 6.2 would suck down going there!.. :crazy: