Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone seen a factory hand throttle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I know I've seen hand throttles discussed here before, but I wasn't aware that GM factory installed them.

Looking through my parts manual, a "1988-89 'RV' Cable Asm, Hand throttle" is shown. Some of the part numbers look like ones that have been around awhile, only application I can think of is for PTO?

Some of the part numbers are:

Was going to check availability on gmpartsdirect.com just for the heck of it, but they are down for maintenance.

Interesting setup.

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen hand throttles on farm trucks before that were nicely installed but I figured it was just some outfitter put them on there. Maybe they were factory or dealership installed then? I saw them on PTO driven generators/welders mostly, maybe a pump but I forget.

3. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

It was definitely a factory option on 67-72 trucks (albeit pretty rare) but I don't know about 73 and up.

4. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Second Athos' reply. Used to have a 68 GMC K20 work truck with a factory hand throttle right next to the factory choke knob.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, my '71 Burb had that option from the factory. It was listed on the glovebox sticker.

The knob was labeled "Throttle". It clicked when you pulled it out and then you could turn the knob to fine tune the RPMs. It was a caveman cruise control of sorts. :D

Too bad the setup was destroyed when my Burb caught fire. :frown1:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I've seen them in Kenworths and Pete's! ;)

7. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I know of people that put them in their diesel trucks to bump up their idle speed for extended periods of idling :dunno:
    Apparently for the older diesels it was bad to leave them at the factory idle.

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Construction company I work for during the summer, has a 1994, 95 or 96(cant remember) Kodiak C4500, gas motor, with a hand throttle. Its next to the choke lever.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just ran those three numbers, only one of those three part numbers is still good through gmpartsdirect.com, so more than likely, even if you wanted to construct a factory hand throttle, you won't be able to, at least not new.

10. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

we've had hand throttle in all our 5 ton trucks, 2 were there when we bought em used, third we installed. our trucks have manlifts on them so you need to run at a high rpm to spin the pto faster. one is on a dumptruck only, works good for when you need to warm up the truck, or you want to charge the batteries. never heard about it being bad to run older diesel at factory idle.

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have seen them on first generation trucks...

I saw them on a 1972 C-60 dump truck,and on a 71 K10 Suburban ,it was labelled "Throttle" on the dash cluster--never saw a factory one on any 73-up truck yet,but I would not be suprised if there was an optional one listed for any truck with a PTO that ran a dump body,tilt-slide flatbed,etc.. :crazy:

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

13. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They were a factory option on '73 up as well. They aren't common in the light trucks, but they were quite common in the C40, 50 and 60 series trucks. There used to be a kit available from GM, but it has long since been discontinued. A buddy of mine has one, and the kit is complete down to the fasteners. It used a handle and cable that ran down to a bracket on the gas pedal asm which used a lever of sorts to pull the upper portion of the gas pedal asm back, thus accelerating the motor. The oe part is cool, but it wouldn't be tough to re-create or even make better with a push/pull vernier cable to make infinite fine adjustments to engine speed.

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow, I should start building one of those. The electronics inside cost $10 to assemble. I have one I built somewhere.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You should send it to me and I will test it out for you. :D

Harley

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

They are very common in tender trucks the company I work for uses. The RPM is set to turn the PTO fast enough for the Auger to ply the Dry Fertilizer out of the truck into the Terragator

17. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Here is the factory manual throttle in my 69 K20. It is located directly below the light switch.

manualthrottle96.jpg