Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone seen Dr. Chin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 69K5, Dec 15, 2003.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

i was looking throug disc brake stuff and came across this on his website. says he used 83 calipers. will thgese work??

<font color="green"> Brakes: Factory front disc rotors and calipers with semi-metallic pads, 1983 Cadillac Eldorado rear brake calipers with semi-metallic pads, modified front rotors on rear axle, custom rear parking brake cables, modified 1978 Cadillac Seville brake proportioning valve, 1978 Cadillac Seville brake master cylinder, modified 1987 Buick Regal 4-door vacuum power brake booster, modified brake actuating linkage. Click here for the how-to article on the rear disc installation.
    </font>

did these have the p brakes?? the one on an eldorado i saw today had it but it was an 84. i thought it wouldnt work so i didnt get it.

thanks

69k5

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah they had parking brake and it's a better designe then the 77's. Problem is they will NOT fit over a stock GM front vented rotor with stock pads. You have two choices.. 1. Machine the pads down and loose about 50% of the pad.
    2. find a non vented rotor and redrill it to fit the GM truck lug pattern.

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Steve did this on half ton axles. I don't remember what he used for rotors /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

he used the tsm kit. it comes with rotors. it's a bit expensive but almost all there. i do wonder what happen to him.

ARQ.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

well i have no way to machine pads and dont think i would want to. and i s also have no way to redo rotors to work. i guess ill just have to keep looking. maybe i can find some 1" thick 8 lug rear axel and this will make more options. did any 8 lug rotor ever come that thin that anyone knows of?

thanks for all the help

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I doubt it. Vented "truck" disks all seem to be over 1" thick.

Maybe some older unvented stuff will work? Hve to be a big truck, but I've seen some older 8 lug axles with disks, perhaps there are some old applications that used unvented 8 lugs?

I've seen some Nissan(? foreign whatever it was) that had unvented disks for the front, but they were only about 1/2" thick.

7. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

1/2 " man thats thin. I have a friend that works at the parts store. i guess i better get him to do something at work.

anyone else that works at a parts store let me know of you know anything

thanks

69k5

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe the new silverado's or H2.

I'll have to measure the 1/2 ton disc I have and see. The problem is it will still need some machining. They go over the axle on the 1/2 ton like a front wheel drive Disc. I better the 3/4 is the same way.