Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone seen this gas mileage idea???????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Apr 8, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

2. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

just read it looks rather interesting might just try it with my Sub

3. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would be carful that stuff could eat up fuel seals real quick. It could really do some long term damage to fuel injection

4. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Wow, I think I'll try it after I get my odometer going again.

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

After reading that... I'm not too happy with our government... I think I'm gonna try it... and if something breaks, at least I'll know why. I do lots of highway driving, and always fill up on the best gas, but still only get 10-14 MPG... if I can bring it up by up to 35%, I'll be happy as a pig in doo doo...

6. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I would be interested to know if this is true or not :thinking:

It would be nice if it worked

7. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

well... I'm going to run a few tanks with acetone, since most of my driving is highway at about 2200-2500 rpm and 65-85mph... I'll tell you guys how it goes for the first few tanks, then I'll stop using it like the guy did with his neon... though I may not want to if I get enough mileage increase... I can't justify paying more just because... even in the name of science. =)

8. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

... try running 87 octane for a tank then run 91... you will get alot better mileage with the 91 octane. that is why some people don't mind buying 91 all the time. It evens itself out with better gas mileage. My dad was the one i got this from when he ran 87 and 91 in all of our vehicles and found a pretty significant increase in gas mileage. I'd rather just put 91 in all the time then run acetone through my system. If you read far enough into the article it reveals that all its doing is changing the octane. But acetone is some bad stuff for any king of plastic, gasket, or rubber. 91 octane however isn't.

If i still had my 180,000 mile stock 350 in there i wouldn't do it because acetone will eat seals and gaskets and pretty much anything that gets in its way besides metal. I sure as hell won't put it in my 0 mile 355. Maybe i'll get my bro to try it in his tired 4.3.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nothing I've ever owned got better mileage with 91 over 87.

Rene

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is no possible chemical reason for a vehicle to get better gas mileage on 91 unless its meant to run on 91.(I've never seen 91 myself but thats another topic) You should always run the lowest octane your vehicle runs well on. Maybe your stuff has some carbon buildup and knocks a little on 87 so the computer retards it and bam worse mileage.

11. nerraw117

nerraw117 1/2 ton status

me either, nor my parents, get better gas mileage with higher octane. it all depends on how your timing is set up on your car. you get no more performance or better mpg from a stock engine designed for 87

12. Frickenwirthles

Frickenwirthles Registered Member

The guys on Chevytalk.org say the Acetone thing is bogus. They say the chemistry of the whole idea just doesn't work, and that you might want to think twice about doing it. Don't you think more people would allready know about this if it were true??

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If it worked(and didn't raise emissions) manufacturers would have pushed for it in the oil company. The tiny amount they say it would be easy to add at the filling station(tanker filling station) along with all the other additives.

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I talked to my dad... i had it wrong... he was running 91 in his 10:1 383 then put octane booster in and got better mileage. My bad.

15. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

.1 Not True, you will not get better mileage with higher octane unless your car is designed to run it.
    2.Not True, if you read the article it isn't changing the octane at all, Toulene raises octane, not the acetone

3. Not True again had you read the artice you would have seen this:
    So again i ask you please do not spew information that eaither isent true or that you have no experience with.

Now, for every one that actually had something useful to contribute to this discussion, this is what interests me most:
    This would be really nice in helpin pass smog if these claims are true!!!!!!!!!.

16. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

LMao... it suprises me how much you want to make me look like a dumbass.

did you miss this part?

must have missed this one too.

I have worked with acetone since i was twelve cleaning templates and blue paint off houseboats and have seen first hand what it can do... Just because a post on the internet(which is said to be bogus) says it won't do this the real life results are different... :surepal:

Once again i am going to ask you to get down off your high horse and get into your mini :grin: and drive away... :haha: :haha: :haha:

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

here it comes... i can smell it.

18. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

I have no high horse, all i want is to protect new pople to the site from your inexperience.
    i dont have to make you wrong you do a fine job all by yourself ;)

19. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

LOL there it is

I rest my case....

so the article didn't say that too much acetone will raise mileage and i never corrected myself saying that it was a 10:1 motor that benefited from higher octane. I guess i never worked with acetone either....... :surepal: :screwy:

in this case you were wrong so just let it go... everything i said can be backed up by what i posted before your post and what is in the article. I don't have to defend myself to you and don't want to.

20. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

On another site I visit (ok it's a Ford site) one of the guys tried putting acetone in his fuel this week. He posted his results today. He added 4 oz. to 15 gal. of gas. He said he regularly got 10 mpg, and after adding the acetone he got 12 mpg. I know it's only two mpg but hey that's 20%. Also, this is slightly under the 3oz. per 10 gal. recommended. I have no idea if this article is true or not BUT if it is wouldn't a 20+% increase in fuel mileage be nice. I know I could benefit from it.