Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Ski?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Drey, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Buddys talked me into going this weekend. Ive never skied before most of them have only skied once so there alot of help. Im just lookin for pointers so I dont majorly injure myself....minor injuries are ok:rolleyes:

Last time they all went I had to work, but they said every time they came down to the end of the run everyone at the ski place was coming out on the deck and lookin out the windows at all the uncordinated farm boys tryin to ski:haha:

Goin to Man Kato Minnesota if anyone is currious

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Last time I went, I didn't leave the lodge:haha:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I thought that was the way it was done:doah:

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I figured Im young and i should heal fast so why the hell not ski, many years yet to go to get sauced in the lodge with the ski bunnies

5. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

yea i ski, now that im up in michgan i ski at least 2 times a week, if your good enough back country skiing is great i found places where there was knee deep powder over the weekend

6. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Any tips for the noob skier?

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I hate skiers, so I guess my suggestion is: quit.:p:

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I heard a rumour that SKIGIRL likes a good faceplant!:D
    PM her and ask for some tech tips. Be wary if she tells you that you have to wear pink though!

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Don't leave the lodge:D

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Let me know what time you'll be there and remind me to bring my video camera. :D

If ya feel like havin' a beer or shootin' the **** for a bit afterwards let me know. We can chill at Eric's apartment in Kato.

PS - It's Mankato, not Man Kato.

11. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Long story so I will try to make it short.....

Went snow sking my senior year for spring break. All the other guys had been sking several times and told me to just follow them.......Ya I ran ino the Ski Patrol.

Imagine this, hundreds of people going up the ski lift and one dipshi*(me)going down the ski lift with a Ski Patrol next to me. Very embarassing.

I would advise you to take a half day ski lesson(they should offer this). Yes it was me with the little kids and old people trying to learn how to stop. It was actually quite fun.

The next day I went back up the mountain and skied all the way down(knowing how to stop makes a world of difference). Take the class, you will have more fun after that.

12. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

French Fries....
    Pizza....
    French Fries....
    Pizza....
    French Fries....
    Pizza....
    French Fries....
    Pizza....
    French Fries....
    Pizza....:D:D:D

13. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Like he said, put your skis in the form of a V like pizza. As you tilt your feet in-ward the edges dig in a little and as long as you learn not to let them cross you will find that the digging of edges and a slight push out will slow you.
    As you bring the backs back together you will go faster.
    Then you need to learn that if you put your weight on one side, say right foot, you will turn left. Left foot, turn right. Push both out in the back and you slow to a stop. Cross the tips and you bite it :D .
    The same will work as you learn to bring them together and go faster.
    The trick as a beginner will be to learn to turn both ski together.
    The biggest thing I could offer is learn to fall. Don't let your skis go everywhere when you fall or you will break something or the skis will be off your boots all the time. When you fall, keep your skis up off the snow until you slow down. After you get good, come out here and do a few thousand vertical feet :D .
    BTW, I don't ski anymore because of all the tourists out here. I ride sleds.

14. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Cool thanks guys. Looks like its gonna be around 45-50 this weekend to so itll be nice out when i fall on my a$$ at least

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Ive been skiing once. In my opinion it was very easy to get the hang of. After maybe 2 or 3 runs down the mountain I felt very confident with pretty much every trail and could easily turn and stop. I thought it had a very easy learning curve.

I dont usually ski because I prefer snowboarding. Snowboarding is A LOT harder to pick up than skiing and you WILL be on your ass all day for the first day. I try to go snowboarding about twice a week and am actually pretty good now (been doing it for 2 years).
    -Harrison

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need to let your knees take the shock. Keep your hips and shoulders lined up. Oh man its been so long since I skied that may not even be the right advice.

17. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That is the best advice anyone can give you. I love skiing.

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I love skiing. I went several times a month in the winter until my son was born. Now I make the effort to go at least once every winter.

Take a Lesson. No one will laugh at you. If you don't take the lesson you will be dangerous to everyone on the slope, not just yourself. nothing worse then running into some total stranger in order to stop. unless she's hot.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i like my knees and being able to walk... I'll stay away from the skiing. ;) pad.

j

20. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I opted to just hit the slopes since im pretty much broke and didnt want to shell out the money for lessons. I picked it up much faster on my own than if I would have had to follow an instructor...but thats just me. I did however take snowboarding lessons cause that **** is tough!!!

It does suck running into a random person to stop. I have never been fortunate enough to run into a hot girl though.:doah: I was going down a black diamond the other week on my snowboard and got cut off by a skier. I made evasive actions and slowed down....about that time i hear a girl scream "i cant stop" at the top of her lungs behind me. I look up just in time to see a hot chick absolutely flying down the mountain on a direct course with me. Boom. One of her skis went across the top of my board making a huge scratch all the way across:mad: :mad: ...and the other went into my elbow.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: She bounced off me (she was going that fast)...then hit another guy (who was also going way too fast) and he ended up clotheslining himself on a rope fence.:doah: Everyone was ok, but watch out....there are tons of idiots out on the slopes.
    -Harrison