Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone spec out a new GM with Duramax/Allison?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am in the process of ordering a new 2500HD CC shortbed with the D/A combo.
    I have one question though the the dealerships that I have been dealing with haven't been able to give me an answer that I feel confident about.

I am spec'ing it out with a the (HDPP) Heavy Duty Power Package (which says it includes "LLY Engine (Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8), M74 Transmission (Allison 5-speed automatic, G80 differential (automatic locking), and PDN (heavy duty rear)"

The problem is I would like to install a plow and as soon as I choose the Heavy Duty Power Package, the snow plow prep package (SPPP) is not an option (as far as spec'ing it out on the web). Is this because it's included in the HDPP?

What's included with the SPPP is this: "10-amp power for backup and roof emergency light, 145-amp alternator, hi-flow front bumper, forward lamp wiring harness, 1.65" access hole with grommet in front of dash panel, instrument panel jumper wiring harness for electric trailer brake controller, (K47) Air Cleaner, high capacity and (NZZ) Skid Plate Package (VYU).

I would also like to install an electric brake controller that doesn't have to be spliced in and the only option I see for having it pre-terminated is in the SPPP.

I was told all 2500HD's with D/A come with the wiring harness, trailer hitch, and provisions for plow, but what about the brake controller harness?

Is this true?

Also if you ordered a new GM, did you have to spec these items seperately?
    TIA

Chris

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is very possible that it gets delited because it includes the same parts in that H.D. package . I would spend some time in the parts department and see if the torsion bars are the same between the truck you want and one with a Snow Plow Pkg. Try and use the same basic truck set up for comparison .

I did this when I ordered my Dodge in 2001 and found that there was NOT ONE PERSON at the dealership that could answer any of my questions about specific parts on the truck I was ordering. DO NOT take a sales persons word on these matters and verify what you are getting by the parts department and similar parts . Of course all this depends on you finding a knowledgeable and friendly parts person ( a very rare find at that ) .
    Good luck , Tom

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm not going to be much help, but as that is worded for the trailer brake wiring, it SOUNDS like that is an "add-on", something that wouldn't need to be installed when the vehicle was assembled.

Should be some sort of reference to it in the service manual for the truck, I'd "demand" to see a service manual (perhaps parts manual) to see what that entails, and how it is wired up.

In "our" C/K trucks, it was easy for GM to add things to the fuse panel because there are spare terminals on the panel. The way the new fuse panels are set up, (haven't seen what you would be dealing with) "plug and play" wiring seems to be less common. However, the way companies build things anymore, I would be really surprised if something optional like you are trying to get, ISN'T something that can be easily added on, or left off.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

From my understanding, all of the HD's come with a place to plug in the trailer brake control harness under the dash. On my '03, I had to buy the pigtail and connector but I'm pretty sure you could get the dealership to throw one in.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I would pose that question over there on this board...

Lots of knowledgeable guys. Also, GM changes their mind with the wind on option pkgs. One day one thing, the next its different. My advice is to go to the dealer and sit down at their terminal and order what u want.

John

6. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

VYU with LLY

GM won't allow the use of a VYU snow plow prep with a Duramax. There is a footnote on the VYU option in the 2005 order guide that says:

"1 - Requires 4WD Models and not available with (CJ2) Air conditioning, dual-zone, automatic. - With Models C/K25953 not available with (LLY) Engine, Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8. - With Models C/K25*43 requires (LQ4) Engine, Vortec 6000 V8 SFI.1 - Requires 4WD Models and not available with (CJ2) Air conditioning, dual-zone, automatic. - With Models C/K25953 not available with (LLY) Engine, Duramax 6600 Turbo Diesel V8. - With Models C/K25*43 requires (LQ4) Engine, Vortec 6000 V8 SFI."

While they are somewhat redundant in saying the same thing twice, what it means is they will not let you order a truck with VYU and the Dmax if you are ordering it on any Exteded cab or Crew cab models. (extended cab model numbers end in 53 and crew cab model numbers end in 43)

You can however, order the skidplate package NZZ separately then order the Z82 towing package that includes the trailer brake wire that is in the VYU package and the Z82 includes the K47 high capacity air cleaner.

The only things you are not getting that the VYU provides is the 145 amp alternator, forward light harness and the high flow bumper. Looking further into the order guide I found that even under the SEO section (special equipment options) you can't order the 145 amp alternator on the d-max, just the L18 big block or LQ4 6.0 liter. You can however order dual alternators as an SEO on the Dmax by using the option code 8X5. That gives you 2 105 amp alternators for a total of 210 amp output.

So you are left with the forward light harness and high flow bumper, either of which I bet a savvy parts guy at a dealer would be able to look up for you and order. Hope that helps!

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If you have the trailer equipt. package you get the controler harness to attach to your unit and under the dash fuse panel. The plow package however I'm not sure.....

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup my 05 has the tow package and the power package and yes there is a plug under the dash for a brake controller, check out rv.net in there fourm you can get pics and different controllers used and stuff...

Side Note:
    over at rv.net a hand full of heavy duty towing folks( towing at MAX loads) have had problems with GM's factory hitch cracking at the gussets. If the cracks go unseen then some GM hitches have failed in tow!!!:blush: For me this was a bigg issue. I have bought a new hitch to replace the flimsy GM one that is only good for class 3 towing, even though they rate it at Class 5..
    Good Luck
    Burt

9. joefl

joefl 1/2 ton status

That connector came with my '04 HD