Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone suffer Carpal Tunnel??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ds350, Apr 30, 2003.

1. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I wil be going to the Doctor to get Nerve testing done. My hands have been "asleep" for almost 2 weeks! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It sucks!

2. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

DON'T GET SURGERY!!!! At least that's my opinion. I have dealt with ergonomics for several years and more than half of the people I know who had surgery regretted it afterwards. If this is due to work, I'd contact someone (union/workmans comp). OSHA just put out some new guidance on this sort of thing; however, I haven;t had time to check it out yet. Good luck with whatever you do.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I agree. Don't get surgery. My hands and arms were asleep for weeks at a time. Mine was due to a pinced nerve in my neck.

My chirpractor is well known for being able to treat carpal tunnel with adjustments. He treats a lot of musicians in Los Angeles. Point is, it is a problem that can be typically repaired thru non surgical means.

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i had the exact same problem, pinched the nerve in my neck while working on a christmas tree farm, always looking up to the sky....
    the pinched nerve caused the carpal tunnel problems....
    went thru 6 months of physical therapy strengthening my neck and shoulder, worked like a charm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I used to have issues all the time with my hands. I now only have problems sometimes. There are exercises and some other preventive things you can do. I have not heard very good things about the surgery. I do not know what field you work in but being a greasemonkey myself I can say there are alternitives to surgery. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Ya I know it sucks BTW!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

All,

Thanks for the input. I have been going to physical Therapy for almost 2 months....and have still have issues with my hands asleep. I work as a planning analyst, so I am on the computer all day long using Excel Spreadsheets, creating reports, forecasting, etc. I have been in front of a computer for the past 7 years in the same field.

I definitely do not want surgery, unless it is the last/only choice. Hopefully the new doctor I am seeing is able to get things straightened out.

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

If that doesn't work out, the chiro that specializes in fixing carpal tunnel is in So. Cal. May be worth talking to him, and either getting treatment down here or maybe he can give you a referral for somone up there. I PM'd you with his info if you want to check it out.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The nerve testing is real fun...kinda like getting mildly electrocuted over and over again.

There are nights I can't sleep because my arms are burning/tingling from the elbows down. This doesn't happen often anymore though. I avoid the type of work that leads to nights like that...

I'd love to hear about alternatives to surgery.

Rene

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Rene, that tingling is typical of brachial nerve compression. I had it for almost a year.

Solved it by 1) getting a really good bed. This makes more difference that I ever believed possible

2)Started using a neck pump. See it here. It allows for relaxation of the neck muscles, which is usually the source of brachial (arm) nerve compression - usually it's the sternocleiomastoid muscle (the one that goes up the side of your neck) that causes the problem. The neck pump relaxes that muscle, allowing the vertebrae to slide back into place and this decompresses the brachial nerve (which comes out of the spinal column in a place that allows that neck muscle to pinch it)

3) ROM (range of motion exercises) on the neck

4)sleeping on your back with a neck roll (you can make one from a towel)instead of a pillow

5) adjustments or therapy to correct any other subluxation in the lower back that could be throwing i=out the vertebrae in the cervical (neck) area. If your lower back goes out, it will throw out your upper back. And vice versa.

So there ya go. The short course.