Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone Supercharged ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by njonl, Apr 4, 2004.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

I was at a swapmeet today looking for parts. I happened to come upon a vortec supercharger kit for my '89 Blazer. Apparently it comes with everything for a complete install. The guy is asking $500 for the kit but the only catch is that it needs to be rebuilt. I was wondering if this would be a worthwhile investment. Anybody else running a supercharger setup ? Any pics ? Let me know what you all think. Thanks.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Id say yea go for it. supercargers usually run around $3000 if i remember correctly

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

not a bad deal as long as the impeller is not damaged.

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Good deal, you can send in if its one of the old vortechs to trade up to the v2's (quieter) for a pretty steeply discounted price.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Anyone Supercharged ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! My wifes GTP is supercharged! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I not supercharged but thought I would throw out my thoughts on the mater.
    I dont like them basicly because they aren't worth the money to buy new and put on TBI. Most supercharger kits only give around 75 hp(so they say). You can get the same or more, reliable power out of Heads, cam, intake, for a LOT less money than a new supercharger kit.
    Personally I would not waste my money on a supercharger for a TBI truck. Because TBI uses a MAP sensor for air flow input you are very limited on how much boost you can run. You cant up the boost to make more power unless you happen to have a flash programer and know how to use it.. Superchargers are better suited for TPI MAF systems.
    I guess If you could get it running right for around a grand it might be worth it.
    But if you do get it be sure it comes with the chip. They are usually included with a Vortec kit. Your stock chip wont run right under boost.

7. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Thanx everyone for your input. I talked to the guy who has the supercharger and he said that he got a quote from vortec for a rebuild for around $300. I guess it only needs seals and bearings. Thanks again for everyone's input.

8. mudjunkie 82

Injection is nice but I would rather be BLOWN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

if you want to make a quick buck, just let me know!

10. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

I was supercharged by a brunett once, /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

just couldnt make a dollar strech /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

11. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Injection is nice but I would rather be BLOWN /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i get the blown part, tee hee hee, but what do you mean by injected? :fruity:

12. mudjunkie 82

fuel injection /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif