Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone swap a Performer manifold under their TBI setup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88Silverado, Dec 5, 2003.

1. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Wondering if I can easily swap a Performer EGR manifold under my 88 TBI setup by using an adaptor. Anyone done this?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Wondering if I can easily swap a Performer EGR manifold under my 88 TBI setup by using an adaptor. Anyone done this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope not yet but I certainly am going to run a TBI unit on my Performer when I put TBI on my rig.

Make sure you get the 87-95 intake if you have an 88 with the centerbolt heads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I can get the adapters for $49 plus tax, if you find a cheaper place, please let me know.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Edelbrock makes intakes specifically for TBI. Why mess with adapter plates and stuff? That just creates an extra place for the gaskets to leak. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Cause a carb manifold flows better than than a TBI unit. Even aftermarket TBI intakes. Edelbrocks especially. Besides if you are like me and have older style heads there is no TBI intake for me.

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

On the diy-efi list the single plane weiands like 7546 work very well with the tbi adapter from holley. I know your saying single planes dont make low end torque but they kept saying over and over TBI makes the difference... I dont know first hand so TIFWIW

6. HarryH3

But does a carb manifold flow better after you stick a TBI unit on it? That's the major restriction point. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The old heads do limit your options somewhat, though it is possible to do some machine work on a later intake so the 4 inner bolts line up correctly with your heads.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Actually I think you just have to drill the holes for it.

8. HarryH3

The holes are there, they just aren't at the correct angle. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif You can jury rig it with some angled washers and a grinding bit, but the right way to do it is to have the correct angle cut into the manifold.