Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone swap in a 454

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by smp, Mar 5, 2001.

1. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I just picked up a 454 and was wondering about the swap like motor mounts or anything else that i am not thinking of.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM>http://WWW.SMP.COLORADOK5.COM</A>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Talk to Shawn, he has done this swap, I believe other than larger radiator misc brackets etc it will bolt up to your bellhousing, even your motor mounts.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

I put a 502 in my 70 Jimmy...everything worked out fine except you need to be careful about what valve covers you use. I put on a 3" body lift before I put the body back on (after the swap had been completed w/o the body) and the valve covers were awfully close to the firewall. I used small block motor mounts...the only thing I have to do now is find headers that fit...the 69-72 4x4 pickup/blazer headers don't fit, they hit the crossmember. I think chevelle headers from about the same time will fit...or at least that's what I've heard. Anybody got any info on that? The front most pipes on either side of the block need to go up and over the others instead of straight down (yeah i know that hardly makes sense)

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

4. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

Ayup. I bought a 72CST from a fellow in tejas who swapped in a 454 into it. The 454 came out of a 78 3/4t burb. He also swapped in the axles into it. The 454 fills up the whole engine. The truck has a 2" body lift to clear the HEI at the firewall. Headers will not fit, so I'm running brand new manifolds. New 4 core radiator, with an external electric fan on the outside. SB motor mounts. Lots of other stuff I seem to be forgetting. 8" front leafs, shackle flip, stock leafs, 4" blocks in the rear. 38" gumbos. If you have any questions, email me.

Harry

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Wow! They can do that?

:D

6. Clockwork71

Clockwork71 Registered Member

the big block swap is pretty simple. you will need a body lift or pound the firewall with a hammer until the valve covers fit, like i did. doug thorly tri-y headers for 73-87 bbc 4wd will fit but you need to grind the frame on the pass. side for one tube. you could swap a 73-87 crossmember and motor mounts and i think most 73-87 headers will fit, but you can use the stock small block cross member and motor mounts(i did).last the fan shroud will need to be trimmed as the accessories are further forward. there may be other things here and there but those are the major things

7. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

holy freakin old post

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

9. 69TowRig

69TowRig 1/2 ton status

If you get the Big Block towers out of a 2wd you can bolt them in and the exhaust will clear properly. There is a "divot" in the BB towers that gets the exhaust to clear properly.