Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone swap out a 208 for a 241?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kpanza, Jun 4, 2002.

1. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey guys,

I am wanting to swap out my old, leaky, probably cracked again 208 for a 241 case. The truck is an '87 and has the mechanical speedo of course. The 241 I am looking at buying also has the mechanical speedo setup (I think it is out of an '89).

I guess what I am wanting to know is what, if any, modifications am I going to have to do to make the swap happen? Are the 208 and 241 the same in length, so I can avoid driveshaft length changes? Will my present driveshafts hook up to the case, or is the rear slip yoke a different spline count? All of the shift linkages are coming with the 241, so will they all hook right up to my floor shifter just fine?

Any other things I have missed and you can comment on, I would really appreciate! Hopefully it's a simple matter of dropping one out and bolting the other in, but I know there is always SOMETHING!

2. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

No one's done the swap?

3. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

Why not just go for the NP205 swap?

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

2.72:1 low versus the 205s 2:1 low, lighter, the NP 241 bolts right on to the 700r4, and they make a SYE kit for it. Sorry cant help you on the driveshaft part, but I believe they are the same. My dads Burb (89) has the same length d-shaft as my burb with a 208.

Dan

5. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Anyway to bolt an NP241 case to an SM465 trans?

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I did the swap (both ways) a month or so ago, just bolt in and go. I would recommend adjusting the shifter linkage when you're done.

Pete

7. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the replies guys! I think I am gonna go for the 241...and someday also do the SYE with one of High Angle Driveline's CH shafts as well...

Pcorsmitt - so the driveshafts didn't need to be changed at all? That was my major question, as I have spares and everything and don't want to be having to go down and get them all lengthened or shortened just for the swap! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Cool, thanks for the replies guys! I think I am gonna go for the 241...and someday also do the SYE with one of High Angle Driveline's CV shafts as well...

Pcorsmitt - so the driveshafts didn't need to be changed at all? That was my major question, as I have spares and everything and don't want to be having to go down and get them all lengthened or shortened just for the swap! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

If there are any differences in the output lengths, they are very small--I didn't notice any difference.

Pete

10. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Great! That's what I wanted to hear! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif As for the shift linkages, are they the same? O r do I need to get the linkages with the 241 and swap them into my truck and get rid of the 208 linkages?

Thanks!

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I left the linkages on the trucks, and disconnected them at the lever on the t-case (took the cotter pin out).

Pete

12. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Great, that's what I wanted to hear about the linkages...just leave them in there and hook it back up to the t-case...

Thanks for your help!

13. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Isn't the trans case adapter different? My 241 adapter behind my 700 is different than my friends 208 behind a 700. My blazer is an 89 and my friends is an 84. Did they change adapter styles between the years for either case?

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

They changed the adapter to accomodate a different style trans mount, around '85. The actual trans/adapter/t-case interface remained the same though (at least functionally).

Pete