Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone switch from poly to rubber body mounts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnyK5, Mar 1, 2002.

1. johnnyK5

johnnyK5 Registered Member

Someone wrote a reply in a thread not too long ago about how they were not at all happy with the stiff ride of poly body mounts and wanted to switch back to factory. Can anyone comment on this? Thanks.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/jjkastelic/>http://www.geocities.com/jjkastelic/</a>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't recall that post. Did you do a search?

You asked for comment: : )
    I don't know how a bad ride (especially in one of these trucks!) can be solely attributed to something that structurally "tightens" a vehicle up. Might as well ask people that have gone from rubber to poly engine mounts if they've noticed increased vibration, and I bet none of them can conclusively say that it did.

Typically poly bushings are cheaper than OEM replacements, and our trucks frames are so flimsy that anything that adds to the rigidity is a plus. (tying the body to the frame is akin to using a roll cage to the frame) Poly bushings will compress, although not as much as rubber, plus they won't deteriorate like rubber.

If you can tell me your truck rides as smooth as a Cadillac, and thats the way you want it, I'd say don't do it. But if your truck is like mine, (which is stock suspension BTW) transmitting most every vibration from the road to the drivers seat, you won't notice any negative difference. I will be going to poly as soon as I feel like tackling yet another project.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Actually I have never heard of people switching back but rather wishing they had stayed with rubber body mounts. From what I have heard and people I have talked to they claim the poly stuff for engine, tranny everything but body mounts are down right awesome. Like you said though they claim the poly body mounts are a bit stiff. Also when i had talked to Chuck from "Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages" he said he loved everything poly but body mounts and that if he could do it again all his leaf springs etc would have grease fittings because they squeak a bit.

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. johnnyK5

Thanks for the response guys - I was computerless over the weekend or I would have commented earlier. I know that poly is going to outlast OEM - Though that isnt the issue - I'm just looking at ride quality. Besides, I would expect the factory replacements to last at least 10 years.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I just installed polly mounts. My 75 runs no carpet. It has more noticable noise and vibration. Much more. If this was a daily driver I would have too concider staying with rubber for the better isolation it provides. That said the truck does does feel more solid the little I drove it. It's most noticable at low speeds. most of my problem I think comes from the overly stiff Rancho springs I have on the front. Once you get going down the road it's not bad. I for one major reason will stay with them. I installed a 1 inch body lift. the extra rigidity is needed with a body lift. On rubber mounts the lift gets extra leverage and will break down the mounts faster.
    I am going to look harder at a spray in liner to dampen the noise some. I think that will help cut the noise aspect down and make the vibration less. I'm also going to pull a leaf out of the rancho's to get the suspension in front a bit softer.
    That said, when it comes time to replace the bushings in the Lady's 79...it's getting factory rubber.

6. Big Muddy K20

Big Muddy K20 Registered Member

I have all energy suspension poly bushings in my truck, they work great, I have yet to hear a squeak, and I've buried the truck on many occasions. I'm a ride it hard and hang it up wet kinda guy. I'm riding on the same boggers I had on the blazer and that had all rubber bushings and rode as rough and wallowed alot more (I think this was due to age though not the fact that they were rubber) I have rancho springs in the front and would like soften it up a bit though (for more flex), maybe I might remove a leaf from the spring pack too, before I do though do ya think it'll sag or just soften the spring?

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have all poly in my 1980 K20 rig (leaf springs, shocks, body mounts, engine mounts, t-case mounts, etc.) and I notice less vibration than in my other rig 78 K10. Also you are comparing new poly to old rubber. Old rubber flexes (tears) and absorbs alot more vibration. Granted poly will transmit more vibration than rubber (but I don't think that much). A buddy of mine put all new rubber body mounts (from GM $$$$) because his orginals were shot and he didn't want any more vibration that are supposedly associated with poly. He was pissed because he was used to his old rubber bushing and when he put in the new factory rubber bushings they transmitted more vibration than he was "used to". I bet if he put poly bushings in now he wouldn't notice much of a difference. He won't because he already blew the cash on the GM ones, but he said if he were to do it again he would go poly. Moral: You have to compare apples ot apples. Most people compare their old worn out rubber mounts that flex more and absorb more vibrations because they are loose, dry-rotted, cracked, and missing chunks to new poly mounts. Of course there is going to be a difference, but there is also going to be a difference with new rubber mounts. I feel (personal opinion here) the difference between new rubber and new poly is negligable and due to longevity and cost issues, poly seems to be the route to go hands down. You do want to make sure you lube them well during installation (I used never sieze inside and out and have not heard a squeak in 3 years). FWIW.

edited to correct spelling

8. johnnyK5

Hmmmmmmmmm.