Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone taken their guage panel off? Wiring type question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by big pappa b, Sep 26, 2003.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I bought a 3 guage panel and the K5 isn't real friendly for mounting this so I was going to take the guages out and put them in place of the stock ones. The factory guages just pull out with no wires connected. The terminals on the back are a copper and a silver color. Which one is the positive (+) and which is the negative (-) ??

2. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

get a test light and start poking around with the lights on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I "Believe" the copper are the (+) and Silver is (-)
    Still should get a test light fron the autostore /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not trying to hyjack the thread but do autometer guages have the same wiring style and plug right in?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Who cares? I wouldn't trust electric gauges on my fairly stock motors, much less a built 406!

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

The only electric guage I'm using is for the voltage. Been meaning to buy a test light anyhow. Just looking for a quick answer.
    Thanks "88" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Who cares? I wouldn't trust electric gauges on my fairly stock motors, much less a built 406!

[/ QUOTE ] The problem is that GM didn't put mechanical guages in mine and I would have to change everything over. I know that mech. are better but electrics usually work ok. Besides Tim I thought you think I have a stock motor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have a relatively stock motor and I still don't trust electric gauges.

9. mojo-jojo

mojo-jojo 1/2 ton status

New to the club, been reading the forums for awhile.Just bought my membership two days ago.I just did this to my 89 suburban. Aftermarket gauges require different sending units. If your using electrical gauges and want to use the factory wiring you have to splice into the bulkhead connector on the back of the printed circuit board. The pink wire is for fuel sender the tan wire is oil sender the dark green wire is water temp sender pink with black stripe is ignition power to gauges and of course black is ground. At least thats the way the 89 burban is. Hope this helps.