Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone that has experience with Linux, Secure Shells, TerraTerm, or FTPs, I need help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Sep 8, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright, I'm in a computer science 150 course and my prof. is absolutely worthless. I'm writing programs in C++ through a secure shell on the University's Linux server and I need to transfer the files to my computer so that I can send them to my prof. to grade via the university Windows/WebCT server. My problem is that I can't get any FTP program to log into the Linux server at school to transer the files. I have the password and everything right as well as the host address. It keeps giving me the message that the software of the remote host has closed the connection immediately after it logs in.

I'm using Terra Term Pro to log into a University Linux server and have tried both SmartFTP and Core FTP Lite if it matters. Input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i dont have any experience with it,but i have access to a whole nerd squad. ill ask tommrw if u havent got an answer by then- if they know

3. mikey_d05

I doubt my prof. will be able to answer my question so I'd appreciate the help. My only thought is that the server is rejecting the program but I have no idea why. I was having a problem with the Linux server earlier and had to explain it to her three different ways before she understood the problem and she still didn't know what to do about it. Grrrr....if I get this damn thing figured out I'll be fine because I'm not bad at writing basic C++ junk.

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

are u shure u can log in to the server? should have firewall and gost circuit internal so u cant backdoor the port and srew with stuff.

i know i would set it up that way, and only internal que for info is passed.

might be different since it is for school though

5. mikey_d05

Well, I can log in just fine using Terra Term Pro. I have no experience with Linux so I'm talking out of my @$$ here. I don't see anything blatantly wrong here so yeah....I'll stop by another CS prof's office tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

6. mikey_d05

Ratch, YOU'RE HERE!!!!!!!!! Help Me!!!!!!!!

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Make sure your FTP programs are using ... dammit, what's it called? Passive mode.

Note that shells use different ports than ftp (telnet is 23, I forget what secure is) and ftp is ... err, something else. Anyway, point being that a firewall somewhere along the line could be blocking it.

But do verify passive (PASV) mode. Some of the newer servers won't take anything else :(

-- A

8. mikey_d05

The default port for both FTP programs was 21, should I be using something else? I'll verify the passive mode in a sec here.

Definitely in passive mode, if I use a port other than 21 it won't establish a connection, if I use port 21 it tells me connected for a split second and then the remote host cancelled it blah blah blah, I've tried so much different junk I'm just guessing it's a firewall that won't let specific programs log on. Oh well, I'll talk to my prof tomorrow and prove that my program runs in front of her so she can't give me any chit about not sending her the file by Monday.

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

10. mikey_d05

BAH....I added an extra S in the server name....sonofabitch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for your help though, it was my own dumb fault in the first place.

11. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

lol "i always mess up some mundane detail" (office space) :D