Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone thats done/doing the rear disk swap...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Apr 13, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have a set of remanufactured calipers that are supposedly for the 76-78 cadi application.

Since they are remanned, they don't have levers and what not. So dad goes to the swap meet and buys a pair of "cadi" rear disks for parts.

Gets them back, and they aren't the same. The casting is *almost* identical (same casting marks, same physical size, etc) EXCEPT the ones that are remanned are NOT set up for a bracket to hold the ebrake cable. (no hole for the bracket bolt) The ones from the swap meet are, and have the brackets present.

Both sets are marked "R" and "L", but the interesting thing is, the swap meet ones appear to setup for one caliper oriented towards the front of the vehicle, and the other side is oriented for the rear of the vehicle...make sense?

I vaguely recall some application using a spring hooked into the caliper somehow for the ebrake, but I can't recall what it is. The remanned calipers have a small hole on both that appear to be the right fit for some type of wire (spring) to fit into, but I can't find any pics of either type of caliper complete.

Can anyone help with application on either of these setups, pics or at least know what the heck I'm talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Think I'm going to pick up rear disks from a '93-97 Camaro tomorrow. Not big enough (IMO) for the heavier rigs/tires some of you guys are running, but dammit, these cadillac calipers are ridiculous.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would like to know this as well cause I am starting my disk conversion next week.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Sorry, I don't know about this. But half of the cost of Caddy calipers is the core charge, so if the swap meet ones are the kind you need, but are in rough shape, you are half way to having a new pair. Somebody here might take the extra pair off your hands just for cores to turn in.

4. dyeager535

The problem is, the remanned ones (brand new) are the ones that we have no clue how the ebrake operates. The swap meet ones have obviously been sitting awhile, like you said, good cores, but still leaves us with no ebrake...

Not trying to knock anyone thats making/selling the rear disk conversions for the cadi stuff, but they aren't a good setup.

Hopefully the weather is decent tomorrow, I'll pick up the camaro pieces if they are still there, and maybe start working on that project. Not that I need another half finished project, but it would be nice to make this swap fairly simple, with readily available parts that actually work good.

For those of us running 10 or 12 bolt 6 lugs axles, the Camaro setup *might* be the ticket. (hesitant to speak confidently when it comes to rear disks : ) Camaro's more than likely use narrower rotors than the front trucks, but from research on this board, apparently the IFS 1/2 ton trucks use narrower rotors than ours, so that might be an option. Kinda doubt that will work for the 14FF just due to size, but we'll see once I get them.

Even if it won't work for the truck, it will fit my car /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the disc swap with '73 3/4 calipers. I know that doesn't help you, but I was curious what year camaro disc's you were going after. I have a '93 Trans-am and the rear disc's are incredibly small. the same comes with 93-97 not sure if the 98-02 are any different in the rear, the fronts changed. If you're sourcing 2nd or 3rd gen camaro's, I'm not sure what size they used, but I am curious. let us know what you find. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

79-81 trans am rear calipers. They use the same pads as truck front. mount the same also. I didn't use either set! i used a set of fronts and am goung with the driveshaft ebrake.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The problem is, the remanned ones (brand new) are the ones that we have no clue how the ebrake operates. The swap meet ones have obviously been sitting awhile, like you said, good cores, but still leaves us with no ebrake...

Not trying to knock anyone thats making/selling the rear disk conversions for the cadi stuff, but they aren't a good setup.

Hopefully the weather is decent tomorrow, I'll pick up the camaro pieces if they are still there, and maybe start working on that project. Not that I need another half finished project, but it would be nice to make this swap fairly simple, with readily available parts that actually work good.

For those of us running 10 or 12 bolt 6 lugs axles, the Camaro setup *might* be the ticket. (hesitant to speak confidently when it comes to rear disks : ) Camaro's more than likely use narrower rotors than the front trucks, but from research on this board, apparently the IFS 1/2 ton trucks use narrower rotors than ours, so that might be an option. Kinda doubt that will work for the 14FF just due to size, but we'll see once I get them.

Even if it won't work for the truck, it will fit my car /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Here is the problem. THe newer caddies ran a thinner disc. They will not fit over the 4x4 front disc.

Problem 2 is how the truck is set up. The older trucks with 12 bolts both parking brakes pull from the front. There is a parking brake coble on each side of the frame so the those year caddi calipers were better for thos applications. for trucks that had 10 bolts it where the cables all came down the driver side and then the passenger side had a cable that routed OVER the axle from the rear the newer style caddie calipers would be easier to adapt to the existing cable arrangement.
    I have not had time to finsh hooking mine up but thos parking brakes have plenty of stop power. I had the rear axle on stands spinning 35's with a high idle and the transmission shifted up to third. I used a 9/16 box and stopped both wheels (Detroit locker) prtty darn qucik with a lot less effort then I was expecting.

8. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]

Here is the problem. THe newer caddies ran a thinner disc. They will not fit over the 4x4 front disc.

[/ QUOTE ]

But if IFS trucks used the same thickness rotor as the 93-97 Camaro, that problem would be solved. Can only hope GM had some consistency here.

Not all 10 bolt trucks are cable on drivers side, the split was about '82 or '83.

As was mentioned, the Camaro calipers are definitely smaller than the cadillac '76-78 ones, so probably not the best choice for huge tires and really heavy trucks. I can tell right now that the plate that bolts to the axle flange won't work on the 10/12 bolt (car axle tube thinner diameter).

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/ls1reardisc.shtml is vaguely what I'm working off of, although that is a newer design brake than what I have.

We'll see.

9. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i sent you some pics to your email, you can post them if you like. you're probably comparing caddy calipers from an eldorado and a seville. the casting numbers are 223 and 224, if i remember correctly.

the seville calipers have the lever, spring and the ebrake cable bracket all in one.
    the eldorado calipers have the lever and spring. The ebrake cable bracket mounts on the axel.

I mixed and matched some caliper pistons to use with the seville housing.

The only difference is the caliper piston height. the eldorado piston heigth is shorter, for use with larger rotors. the seville piston can not be ground or machined shorter.

ARQ.
    for members: caddy calipers

10. dyeager535

Wow, those pictures are excellent! Thanks a bunch. Answers ALL my questions on those two pair of calipers!!

11. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

warn full floats used the 79-85 caddy rears and the 88-91 front ifs rotors. different mounting size than the 78 and earlier caddy calipers. I have this set up and have the e brake working by using the caddy cables shorten and the u braket with adjusting bolt wire clamped to the existing blazer front cable. works great. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. dyeager535

So if the 79-85 caddy rotors I have fit the camaro calipers I picked up, that means the IFS truck rotors will work with the camaro calipers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Didn't have to have the rotors turned down or anything?

Thanks for the insight!

13. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

make sure to get the thinner rotors, there are two types on those ifs trucks, and you'll have to machine out the center so that it will fit over the flange on the axle,.......

14. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Simple solution, forget the calipers with the e-brake and put one of these on
    [​IMG]

15. CrazyCoot

CrazyCoot Registered Member

That was my thought exactly! How much for that setup? Where do you get it?

I have everything I need except the driveshaft e-brake. Screw the Cadi caliper BS!

16. dyeager535

I've been contemplating that setup.

I can't see why no major manufacturer uses those. They USED to (although I think they were drums) but then they stopped.

Perhaps there were concerns or "problems" with that setup such as additional vibration that either caused accelerated wear or hurt the comfort of passengers? (seriously, thats why lots of things have changed for the worse) Space? Redundancy?

Kind of opening this up for more discussion than I had originally intended, but thats ok.

I'm not necessarily against the idea, but if you can run stock parts fairly easily, and they don't suck (yes, kind of picking on the cadi caliper's here) I'd *personally* prefer it, whether it makes sense in some ways. Most of the stock rear disk stuff besides cadillac is fairly cheap (I can get complete camaro 93-97 rear disk setups for $80) but of course, still have to deal with mounting and ebrake.

How much total does the driveshaft e-brake cost?

FWIW for anyone else following this, the '93-97 camaro calipers can fit the '88+ IFS front rotors, but they are thicker than the camaro rotors by a fair amount. Retracting the pistons works, just not sure how safe that would be. Still kind of working on it.

17. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner