Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone tow a K5 with a UHaul (style) tow dolly?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Burbinator, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Bought my rolled M1009 back from the insurance company and I need to transport from San Diego to Phoenix. Anyone use a tow dolly to tow a K5? Front or rear pull?

Any suggestions appreciated...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yup I did this summer.

Had no engine or front clip but we pulled it up with a come along and aired down the tires to get it to stay (32x11.5R15's)

Towed it behind my G20 van had no problems at all, it was a little tight pulling it up but we didn't have any problems with the fenders on the trailer. Pulled the driveshaft and she towed really nice.

Oh yeah we also ran extra HD straps around the axle to the trailer just as as a safety!

Towed a 3/4t 2wd Burb a few years back the same way, that didn't tow near as nice and we had to pull the fenders on the trailer to avoid killing them. That time we just made our own wiring harness and used the Burbs taillights for trailler lights.

U-haul won't recommend it and they will give you a lot of crap about violating the contract and such, but if you can find one of the larger tow dollies at a rental place they fit better and can handle the weight.

Good Luck, and glad to see everything is working out and you guys made it through the wreck OK! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

hmm... not a good idea in my eyes. thats crappy, cus i have yet to buy my trailer. if i had it i would offer to pick it up for ya for the price of gas.

as for towing with the dolly, i dont advise it. i would use the full out uhaul trailer. DONT TELL THEM IT FOR A BLAZER!
    they wont give it to you. ethier one of them for that fact.
    also, if you have some stock rims and tires, take them for the front. you will need them with both trailers.
    oh, and swing through yuma on your way.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Grant

4. Burbinator

Went ahead and opted for the full transport trailer...

Hopefully, this time the haul will be EXTREMELY uneventful!

5. Burbinator

Well, towed the M1009 back from San Diego to Phoenix this past weekend with NO problems. Getting it up on the transport trailer was easy, with the help of a forklift, but getting it off proved interesting. Too bad this couldn't have happened the first time we towed it home and had the accident. We traveled at the blistering pace of 50 mph on average...it took almost eleven hours to get home.

Now comes the fun part...dismantling the drivetrain, interior and any thing else that it still good for transplant to the new tub!