Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone? Toyota 4x4? (brake info/thoughts needed...loooong post)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dyeager535, Apr 21, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you want to admit it privately you can IM me, thats ok. Just kidding. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyways, working on my rear 10/12 bolt disk brake swap with newer camaro calipers. Camaro calipers used at least from '93-97.

I guess the only real important measurement is the hub diameter (and to lesser extent overall diameter). 10/12 bolts need a "hub" (the raised center section at the outer end of the axle shaft that the wheel lines up on) that is 3.57" diameter. Smaller than that is fine, it would be acceptable to open the hub up on the rotor.

Interesting tidbits that lead me to believe Toyota may offer the right piece:

1985 Toyota truck
    12x.25"(diameter/thickness) solid rotors, 3.75" hub.

1992 Toyota
    11.25x.875" vented rotor, with 3.75" hub.

For comparison, the Camaro rotors are setup for 11.5x.75" vented rotors, but they can fit anything up to about 1" thick looks like. (I crudely test fit some 1" rotors to them) Should be able to fit a .75" rotor if you ask me. Diameter is also not that important, the bracket that will need made can accomodate bigger diameter, at least up until the point the caliper hits the wheel. But that should be over 12", since the big cadillac calipers clear 15" wheels.

I had the parts counter guy pull a 1/2 ton '88 IFS GM truck rotor because I was told they were thinner than 73-87 rotors, but the piece he brought up was 11.5x1.25". Interestingly, the hub was smaller at 3". So if it weren't for the thickness, the rotor diameter and hub would work fine. Kind of doubt GM went even thinner on them later though.(?) Can't really be sure the guy brought me the right part of course, but since it doesn't match the '73-87, I'm assuming he did. Maybe the "earliest '88+" rear disks from a GM truck would work? Can't have the integral drum parking brake methinks...I should be able to find that info somewhere though.

Pretty particular specs I need, but to be honest, there is not a better board out there for knowledge. If every vehicle had a message board with knowledable people like this one, everyone would be their own mechanic. (if you don't believe me, try finding info about, say, an early 90's Dodge Ram VSS /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Anyways, I guess if you can't help out any other way, the URL to a *good* board that has people that deal with this Toyota stuff might help a bit.

Hmm, can't think of anything to make the post longer!

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'm a little lost about what exactly you want to do here. Maybe use yota truck rotors on the rear of your K ?

fyi 12.19" OD is about as big as you can easily go in rotor OD and still fit a 15" wheel over it.

My Autospecialty brake parts book lists the yota 8/83 - 7/85 (live axle 4x4 trucks) solid disc as having a min thickness of 11.5mm or .453"; and the 8/86 - '95 (IFS 4x4 trucks) vented discs as having a min thickness of 18mm or .709" Both are nominally 12" OD. The 2x yota truck stuff is smaller. Can't help on the register diameter.

If you can put the caliper over the rotor w/o pads, and then apply air pressure to the caliper w/o the piston traveling far enough out for it to leak air, you can use that caliper on that rotor. If it leaks you need a thicker rotor or make some pad spacers.

3. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say go back to the auto parts store and ask for rotors the 88 again. There should be two different thickness for the half ton. There should be standard rotors(less than an inch thick), and rotors for the F/44 HD chassis(1.25 thick).

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Appreciate the info from both of you.

They need to let me at their computer, since you never know what they are plugging in. No flame towards parts store employees, but last time one of them argued with me because I had a part that wasn't in the computer, therefore it didn't exist lol.

I made sure to ask for 1/2 ton '88, but I'll have to head back there. Anyone got a newer Hollanders? It would list them.