Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone transported their rig "in a" U-haul

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by equalizer, Dec 27, 2003.

1. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading
    Anyone transported their rig \"in a\" U-haul

Hey, just seeing if anyone out there has transported there rig with a u-haul. I'm leaving my K5 at my moms place, and unlike to be back to pick it up durning the coming year in which she is planning to move. (I know, I should be helping). Anyway, I just want to make sure that she can move it without me having to set up some kind of heavy duty trailor. Any tips as well (perhaps not telling u-haul execs that I'm planning on putting a truck in the back of one of their big rigs!!)

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone transported their rig \"in a\" U-haul

Never stuck one inside, but we did rent the tow bar and flat towed a 85 2wd 3/4 ton Burb behind a u-haul before.

Towed it from Maryland to Ohio no problems. Just pulled the driveshafts and set up tow lights.

You might want to consider that, rather than sticking it inside.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if nothing else I would like to see it done /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If my dad still had his box truck I'd try it out and let you know how it worked out...

4. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Thats um.. pushing the width barrier!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would say it is possible, but you'd have to climb out through the back window.

The other thing is, it would be very expensive- remember, its by the mile for those.

5. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Tried it with a GEO Metro but the inside was too slick to take any real turns. First turn we took it like to sent it through the cheap siding that it is made of. Another problem I had was getting that sob in there. I wouldn't try it, too much to risk; Damage to your truck, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif damage to Uhaul truck /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif which will come out of your pocket. Just too many negatives to see a positive but hey good luck with what you try...
    James

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well it can be done, a guy i work with recently moved to florida here from california, drove a uhaul with a mustang in the back, loaded with stuff on top and towed an f150 behind.. only problem i see is finding a loading dock to drive your truck up on then back the uhaul up to drive the truck in.. and then getting it out.. youd be better off renting a towbar or paying to have it towed, or driving it..
    it wont fit on a standard uhaul tow dolly

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Does anywhere even rent a flat trailer that will fit our trucks?

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Yes, you can fit our trucks on a full sized trailer, or a specially wide dolly- I dunno if u-hauls fit.

9. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

A buddy of mine put a mustang inthe back of a uhaul said ti rode well the 1700 miles home.

I put a K3500 dually on back of uhaul tandem axle trailer towing it with a 27' van. Overloaded was an understatement. No trailer brakes for 2100 miles sucked. Made it somhow without dieing

10. camarine

camarine Registered Member

Crammed mine on a Ryder trailer for a trip from California to North Carolina. Only problems were it was over weight for the trailer and had to get smaller tires to get it on. When I did get it on the trailer it was still sitting on there crooked but 2986 miles later it came rolling off just fine. It was sort of embarassing seeing the 205 75 r15 /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifon the blazer. Looks a whole lot better with the 35's on it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Penske had one that would fit the front axle width, only problem with that was the wheel wells of the trailer were too flimsy and I didn't want to chance crushing them.

11. Kyburbn

Kyburbn Registered Member

I towed my 3/4 ton, 12" lifted 88 Burb with the 44's removed and stuck on the trailer and I put stock tires on the Burb to lower it down. I had a 14' or 16' car trailer and towed it with a 17' U-haul van (the one with duallies in the back) and it towed from TX to KY like it wasn't even back there.

12. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    perhaps not telling u-haul execs that I'm planning on putting a truck in the back of one of their big rigs!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Putting a vehicle inside a U-Haul truck voids all contracts and insurances. Having the U-Haul overweight means you'll also be held responsible to pay for any breakdowns caused by this. If U-Haul finds a vehicle in their truck you will not be allowed to continue on your trip without removing it. Please don't do this. It's dangerous and expensive for everybody. U-Haul does have the right equipment at the lowest costs. Let U-Haul help you move your vehicle safely. Happy Wheelin! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    U-Haul does have the worst equipment at the lowest costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I just have bad luck but everytime I rent from u-haul something breaks. Usually before I even get loaded.

When we towed my buddies Burb, the tow bar broke hooking it up! They were cool about replacing it, but it sucked.

When I rented the dolly to tow my K5 home, the dolly blew a tire (empty!) The fixed it but it sucked waiting on the shoulder of the road for their service guys who thought it would be ok to stop and get a bite to eat before coming ot fix our tire! (10:30 and this guy had to stop and get him 3! woppers (fer a snack))

I don't care for their equipment or service (just my opinion), but their aren't a whole lot of options so I'd still say tow bar behind one of their rigs. Safer for you and everyone else, the trucks aren't designed with anyplace to tie down your rig safely inside. Heaven help you if something unthinkable happens while it's inside the truck. I simply try to anticipate problems and avoid them or prepare for them, there are a lot of problems that could occur if'n you went this route and I believe it would just be easier and safer to flat tow it!

Just my two cents. . . and then some! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

I was able to put my 72 blazer on the U-HAUL trailer with 33-12.50-15 tires on it, it just squeezed between the fenders. Check what the max weight that can be loaded is, I think its 3500 lbs. (and I didn't say I was going to load a blazer /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

15. DougK20

DougK20 1/2 ton status

Whenever you tow a different vehicle than what's on the contract, you've broken it. All contracts, insurances, etc. are void. You will be held 100% responsible for anything that happens. Just so y'all know... Please, be careful out there.

16. equalizer

equalizer Registered Member

Currently in Northern Alberta. Soon to be heading

Good info guys. Looks like it's going on a trailor when the time comes. I've got 31's, so I'm hoping that would be enough. Good insight, though, and Doug your spot on, I wouldn't want to do anything that jepordizes the contract making all insurance etc. void. Thanks for the opinions guys.

MarcD