Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone tried a p.u. tailgate on a k5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1990K5, Jan 3, 2002.

1. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i have a lexan back window in my hard top (lost 50 lbs. out of the tailgate) and i need to figure out how to open the tailgate from the outside or put on a pickup tailgate. it seems to me the bodylines would line up fine but is the truck tailgate too thin compared to a 3in thick k5 tailgate?? thx j.c.

2. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

It is thinner but will work. Just use some weather stripping to take up the room from the thinner door.
    David

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yep it can be done I like the window idea , like to see pics..

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ran one for a while, problems were rattles and sealing. I ended up putting the K5 gate back on and stripping the window guts out of it to lighten it up. Solve those two and I think you're set.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

5. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

how did you mount the truck tailgate with the different style hinges than the k5's?

6. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

ya, at first i had a standard piece of plexiglss but i broke it in a week or two, so i got a 1/4 piece of lexan for$60 and cut it with my angle grinder, finished the edges, trimmed the bottom with a 1/4 piece of alum. u-channel. it fit in the weather stripping really nice and tight and then i drilled a hole on ea. side about 1/2 way up the top and about 1/2 in in from the window and used two small (1/4in) clevis style pins to secure it. it works great and comes in and out easy, but i can't open the tailgate from the outside. i am about to cut a 14 x 12 in hole out of it so my 38" spare can stick out fo it as it will be mounted to my cage at bedrail hight sitting flat behind my rear seat. ill need some sort of brush weather stripping for that.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

The PU tailgate will bolt up with stock PU parts...just get all the hardware from the PU and bolt it onto the Blazer....there are holes already there.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

8. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

I have been running a pickup gate since I built the k5 two years ago. Buy all the hardware with the gate and buy new rubber bumpers to keep the noise down. You can seal out the dust and fumes with a tailgate seal kit from JC Whitney.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

9. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

steve- how long have you been a k5 member? and where in MO. do you live? i grew up in grandview and lee's summit but now i live in CO. j.c.

10. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Live in Warsaw now. I have lived in South K. C., Harrisonville and numerous other places. I have been on the site for quite some time.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. 1990K5

1990K5 1/2 ton status

i spent many days as a kid riding dirtbikes at deepwater if you know where that is.