Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone tried Hammerite?`

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Toad, Apr 9, 2000.

1. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone has tried Hammerite paint in their bed or interior floor, or even for their paint job. I used to use it at a dance club and it held up really well on the railings. I thought it might be a tough paint for avoiding scratches and stuff. The paint is a little different. It looks like hammered metal. The silver looks o.k. but I don't know how the other colors would work. It is a very tough paint and I'd like to know if someone else has tried it before I put it on. I'd hate to try and take it off.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Where can you get it, I would like to try it, and silver is the color of my choice!

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I painted my frame with Hammerite and I love it. Its really tough. I used a brush to put it on and you could barely see any brush marks. When I put the body back on the frame I noticed some spots I missed (of course!) and used Hammerite spray cans to touch it up.

4. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

Oh yeah, I used black for the frame and silver on the axles. The Black looks blackish grey, more black than grey. And the silver looks silver gray, more silver than grey.

5. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

Around here there are a lot of restoration guys that like to use hammerite on their frames. I used hammerite on a '64 comet frame off restoration and I knew a guy who used hammerite on his '68 Chevelle SS. My opinion, not a finishing paint....

6. 79Cheyenne

79Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Try your local ACE hardware. If they don't have HAMMERITE they should have RUSTOLEUM hammered metal finish. I have used tons of both in refurbishing industrial equipment and would recomend them.

<font color=orange>1979 BLAZER Cheyenne[​IMG]

7. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see what colors I can get and spray it on a spare fender. Putting on the frame sounds like a great idea. Thanks again.

8. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

Hammerite IS RUSTOLEUM--it works "ok" for a paint... what you really need to do is treat the metal at its base-- the paint will just cover up the rust and eventually the rot will return and then you'll have to grind it all down.

I work in a boat yard/yacht club and the stuff we put on our old rusting metal floats before we paint them is stuff called OSPHO-- it bonds with the rust and seals it--the stuff is clear and HIGHLY CAUSTIC-- but seales the rust so further rust will have to start somewhere else--
    pretty cheap too!

You can order it from HAMILTON MARINE.com they are a fisherman supply company here in Maine. I think a 5 gallon container was around $59.00. Pretty good for the money! You can do 60 Blazers with that! you can put it in a spray bottle and just squirt it on!

Just adding some Marine Maintenance Experience / .02!

Hope this helps!

-DeeVee8
    "

"The only gun control this country needs is a steady hand".-- bumper sticker I Envy

9. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can get OSPHO at Lowes or Home Depot in the industrial paint section and it works awesome at neutralizing rust.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

So do you first need to wire wheel the rust? Or can you just apply onto the rust the spray on some primer?
    Can you apply paint over the OSPHO the same day?
    Sounds like a good way to stop the current rust under my rig! Thanks for the info....[​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

11. mrprex

mrprex Registered Member

You should be able to apply it right over the rust. I am in the navy and I can tell you all about rust!! hehe Anyway, it should neutralize the rust and actually convert it to a neutral base. I think the stuff we use turns rust black and uses it as part of the sealing caot. Pretty sweet stuff. Hammerite is still cool though...