Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone tried ORD Zero Rates to level out their S-10?

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by BurbinOR, Apr 19, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My rear on the DD sags a bit..............figured maybe the ORD Zero rates would be the right size for the job. Any input? I'll ask Stephen this too............

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

No zero rates on the back of mine. I installed the Rancho add-a-leaf on each side to bring the rear up about 1.5 inches. But I can definitely tell that it rides stiffer when it isn't loaded. The zero rates might be just the ticket. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. HarryH3

Oops, I just remembered. The S-Jimmy has the rear springs under the axle. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif So adding the zero rates would actaully lower your truck by an inch! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well, that wouldn't work then............./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Maybe add a leaf is what I'll have to do then.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I've thought about using them on my s-10 to level it out...it sits about 1" high in the rear...I think I'll just remove a leaf and see what happens though.

6. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

The previous owner put 2 add-a-leaf's in, so now the rear is about 1.5 inches high. I was thinking of cranking the torsion bars to level it out.

7. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

I had the add a leaf put in my truck rear as part of my lift plan. The factory monkey metal leaves were sagging also on my truck, the add a leaf brought it back up but stiffened the rear up a lot. The stiffness is very noticeable in a light truck, if you haul some weight most of the time it will temper this stiffness out. BTW I still had to go with lift shackles to get the rear up to even out with the front.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

OK, in lieu of using a zero rate (won't work) or a add a leaf (been there on my '85 S-10, the ride then sucked)..........how about LOWERING the front an inch to compensate, by manner of the torsion bars? Sounds crazy /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I know but it would at least level it out and ground clearance is not an issue with my Jimmy. That's what the Blazer is for.

9. HarryH3

Blasphemy! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif You would probably be resting on the front bumpstops pretty quickly. The stock setup doesn't have much upwards travel to begin with. I'm running 30x9.50 General Grabber AP's on the stock alloy wheels. Even at the stock height, they rubbed the back of the front wheel well when it got crossed up. With the torsion bars cranked up, they haven't touched again. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Thanks for clarifying that bad idea.............but 'Blasphemy'? What is this, some cult??? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Guess I'll leave it be............ooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr............how about a rear extended shackle? Possible?

11. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

When I had my S-10 I was going to get extended shackles. Probably the easiest, cheapest way to get a little lift in the rear. You could even make them your self relatively easy. Maybe make them 2 or 3 inches longer for a 1- 1.5 inch lift.

12. scotty1

scotty1 1/2 ton status

Go with the lift shackles! You should be able to get a good set for $35-50.

13. HarryH3

I actually take mine off-road so the shackles would just make the rear overhang worse than it already is. The add-a-leaf did stiffen up the ride a bit, but it doesn't feel like the axle is welded to the frame or anything. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif It was my wifes daily driver for many years and she never complained about the ride after I installed it. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

This will not be used to wheel..........Blazer has that duty. This is for ski trips, general DD duties and nasty weather (rarely get that here) security. Shackles are a good idea, I had the add a lift on my 85 and it made the ride suck.

Thanks for the feedback!

15. ChevBlazin

The lift shacles will Not make the rear overhang worse. Your leaf spring is still as high off the ground as it was when the factory shackle was on it, but your rear frame moves up and makes it look like the springs are lower. Think if you were able to install them with the wheels on the ground, all that would happen is the rear frame would go up and then you bolt the shackle in. I suppose there could be a miniscule ammt of ground clearance lost since the pinion angle changes a bit thus makeing the rear of the spring hang down very slightly. But seriously, would you notice that?

16. ChevBlazin

After thinking a bit more, I recant some of that statement. A little clearance would be lost. sorry. However, on my 84 S-10 my trailer hitch and bumper always hit first, so I wouldnt have cared.

17. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

It doesn't make my clearance worse. I got at it with the sawzall. *grin*

18. HarryH3

Yep, I try to line up rocks so that the hitch takes the majority of the abuse when dropping into holes, creeks, etc. The longer shackles would tend to make the springs hit the rocks first. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

19. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

My friend used an add-a-leaf in the rear of his ZR2 Blazer. It still rode very nice! Make sure you get the long add-a-leaf, they ride alot nicer. Not sure what my friend got though...