Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone tried putting roll on bedliner on rocker panels?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Dec 16, 2000.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

I just painted my burb. I already have major chipping on the rear fenders where they flare out in front of my wheels. I was wondering if that roll on bedliner would work well there if I taped it of nicely. I may even do the entire lower few inches of the body with the stuff. Does the roll on look lame? Is it hard to clean? Thanks.

2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

They used to make chrome dohicies just for that. Have used them before on Chevy Pick Ups, they look good. Also I put mudflaps on my outfits.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Back when I lived in the snow belt, people would get their trucks undercoated and have the bottom few inches of the paint side done, too. This works great at keeping salt from finding its way into rock chips. If you have a dark truck it is not very noticable. Roll on liners come in different colors, so if you got a color that was close to your paint it should look fine.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com

4. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I got mine line-xed and it look great (so I thank) you can take a look at it on my web site but it is not roll on

a guy has a post a the top of the page right now that that durbake on the rockers and it looks real good

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I have both the roll-on liner and the chrome "doohickies" (good word!). Had it done in PA when I lived there to get rid of the damn rust from the damn salt, so it did its' job. Only problem I have is the paint that was done over it looks like a spider web right now (not cool but crappy), but the liner works great, no cracks or anything. Good idea, just make sure you do the paint over it right (if you have to paint it. My truck is white and the liner he used (the guy that did the rust repair/bedliner roll on) was black. Looking back, I should have just left it black until I get the paint job done.......if I ever do it.

Very easy to clean by the way........mine goes up to the bottom of the lower body moulding.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

James and Blazer, how much did you guys pay to have that done? I'd like to do it to all of my vehicles if I move back to Michigan.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 3" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

7. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

at the local paint supplier they have spray on (can)bedliner that paintable im going to spay it on then paint it.

8. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

yep

there is a post further down where someone has. title is
    Pics: Durabak and rocker panels
    he has pics too

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

9. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

AJM

I payed 150 to have the rockers line-xed and 600 to have the hole inside done

line-x is great stuff and it has a life time warnty

I have some pics if you want to see the just ask and I will see if I can dig up the link to my photo alubm

[​IMG]Go prepared

http://www.trailblazer90.coloradok5.com

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Some years of GM trucks came with a stick-on, clear plastic protector in that area. It wasn't too noticeable as you could see the paint through it. Might check at the GM dealer for them.

Also, 3M makes a stuff that called Body Shutz that's specifically for spraying onto rocker panels. It's kind of a rough surface and very tough. You can also paint over it if you want to. Any body shop should be able to tell you more about it.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

11. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Did you just go to the same people who put the bedliners in or did you go to a painter? Also did that price include the door sills?

12. Rowdysr

Rowdysr Registered Member

Get in touch with EDGE in the User List. He has done a great job on his Blazer. Good Luck

13. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I've done the whole inside of my K5, but haven't done the outside. I have a friend that coated the wheel wells (tire side) with the roll on stuff, and so far his still looks good, and it's real easy to clean too! Next we're going to coat the engine side of the wheel wells...I'll let ya'll know how that looks and works.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!