Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone tried rockcrawling and not like it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Oct 14, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Figured this is wheeling so it belonged in the garage, if not, move it.

I want to move down south in the colorado, californa, texas, arizona area eventually, and down there I dont think there is much mud (which is all I have wheeled, excluding just fireroads).......
    I was wondering if anyone has been rockcrawling and not liked it?
    If so, why didn't you like it?

From all the pictures ive seen on ck5 and pirate with rockcrawling, I love the looks of it. But looks and feel are different.

comments?

EDIT:
    Darn I forgot a poll and I cant edit one in...woops :doah:

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

i have never really been in much mud, not much around here, but when i DID find some, and ran the truck through it several times,,,i hated the next several years, as it's such a P.I.T.A. to get cleaned.

NOW, the rock crawling thats done around here, is awsome, especially when you head out with some of the guys here who have a seriously customized trucks, or custom built,,,, whatever they are (Marv) :D

Just let me tell you, if you tried it, you'd love it, i do, but don't really want to beat up my D.D. anymore than it already is and have them look like other peoples daily drivers,,, (Matt) :D

hopin to get another project started on this winter to go bash it in on some rocks with the rest of the crew. :waytogo: :whistle:

3. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

All I can say is its different but most seem to like it. If you are affraid of body damage though you might think twice. :D

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

EXACTLY,,,i already have some body damage on the D.D.,,,i call it, personalization,,,i have even labeled the dents as to where they happened, and on what date :D

it gets attention, laughs and nice comments,,,but i would really like to drive something now and then that looks half way decent..

this is why alot of people out here build a trail only truck,,,look at Rob,,,MY GOD !! that thing used to be a truck, and Matt again,,,same thing !! :haha:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I tried it, loved it and bought a truck. Mud is a PITA to me if you are going to actually drive thr truck anywhere else - hard to clean/work on.

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

A good thing to do, is try to head down here sometime in the winter,,,only time it's not TOO hot :doah: and let us know when you ARE going to be here, and maybe some of us here in the AZ crew could have ya ride along with us to see what it's like,,again,,it's awsome,,,

I get kinda bored now though, as mentioned earlier, don't really wanna tear up the body too much more, so i can't go on the "fun" stuff unless i'm riding along,,, :(

and i don't mean bored with the run, just with what i can, and can't do,,,

the crew is awsome, and a lot of fun to be with . :saweet: :woot: :thumb:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I sure would take a trip to test it out...but I don't have any useful skills so I'd just be a dork in the passenger seat :haha:

Keep the comments coming!

8. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well Ive ran mud for the last 4 years or so and just recently i started to get into the rock crawling stuff. To be honest its 20 times funner then mud lol... dont get me wrong i still love mud... But if someone gave me the choice today to run a mud pit or do some rocks id go with the rocks. I havnt ran much for rocks a few 3+'s in the rain and a couple 4's around here but those few trips made me change from an all mud guy to a rock guy. Rocks to me are funnier because it takes some degree of skill... you dont just hammer down and point in a certain direction and hope your tires pull you through :haha: Instead you have to look at what lines to take..if your gonna slide into the tree to your left...etc... just more thrilling to me lol. Oh and i also love body damage :wink1:

Only thing that took me awhile to get use to was off chamber ****.... i hate the feeling of tipping lol :haha:

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

when you comin back to D- Land?

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Come on down!!! I think it is cheaper to live in Texas anyway. You can be the dork in my pass seat. Hell... I'll even be the dork in the pass seat. You can drive my rig. Not the biggest or the strongest, but the exo is like a security blanket.
    And about the off camber stuff.... Nothing in mud will make your heart race like the feeling of " I know I'm gonna roll my sh!t over" Even the the little stuff, if the drivers side is higher, will make you think.
    I will be doin some creek crawlin this weekend and I will try to get you some pics.
    This stuff is fun also http://www.teamrapevan.com/media/frisco_10_01_016.MOV
    give it a minute to load.

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL not sure. Moms probably still paying it off from last year :doah: :doah:
    Probably one day though...it was fun

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

LOL that video looked like it hurt.
    But it looks real fun. Thanks

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thats the comment I wanted to hear! Sounds good.
    Yeah I think I will like more technical stuff...I don't know. Except when I get down there I would be starting from scratch with minimal skills :doah: :haha:

14. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Hollister Hills in cali is a good place to go mess around and learn. They have a little of everything to play around with. Plus it is close enough to civilization, so when you break something, you can get a quick fix. And like the other guys were saying, the tipping will get your nerves the first couple of times or until you roll and don't care anymore. Along with rockcrawling comes a lot of armor if your rig is going to survive (sliders, skid plates, diff covers, roll and exo cages, axle strength and defintely a winch).

15. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Steve,

Rockcrawling is the chit. It is the biggest slow-motion adrenaline rush you can get. Nobody actually understands what it is about till they do it. It is also demanding on maintainence (sp) and the wallet. This mod, that mod, the next mod, it all adds up. There are some budget recepies running around for it though (budget is relative). I played in mud/hills when I was in highschool and it was neat, but crawling alway got my attention. I think it is more of a brain exersise too. You have to realize, plan and execute your idea to succeed (sp). You know those little wal-mart crawlers?? well did you make yours get stuck in sand/mud or see if it would get over a Mtn dew can?? If you made it crawl the can and like watching it, you will like rockcrawling.

16. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

I guess it depends on how serious you get.
    I can't run the rocks cause all I have is 2 really long DD.
    I have been on a couple trails difficulty very low that were fun, but most would have not considered that rock crawling.
    Some guys I work with are into the scene very heavy. They have mucho bucks into their jeeps and buggys. But they go on trails that are so hard you only go like 5 miles in a 10 hour day. This is one extreme and I can't see doing it as I think it would be so low I would be bored to death.
    If you want to run the rocks and be somewhat serious you need to get a blazer or jeep and build it up with 1 ton axles, very high crawl ratio gearing, run big tires for clearance and as little lift as possible and make friends with a sawzall and welder. The rock guys are very hard on the equipment and trail carnage is highly likely everytime you go out. Sure there are exceptions but if you are getting into it these are things you need to consider.

17. TLCOR

TLCOR 1/2 ton status

Conclusion: Mud - Sucks ! Rocks - Rock !

18. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i was a mudder in washington, but now im a trail lover. crawling is fun but a bit expensive for me right now. im slowly getting a multi-use rig set-up closer to a crawler but i wont go to a full blown one unless i get a trail rig too. there is just to much terrain here to play in to be limited to just crawlin

19. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

^^^^^^ I like mud :D

I think trails are the best and offers a little bit of each.. We don't have any rocks around here so nobody is a rock crawler.. If you find some trails that have some mud, hill climbs and some rocks thrown in from time to time, then that would be my choice..

20. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm gonna have to put my vote in for the mud. I mean I haven't really been on any real rocks yet because I still have to drive my truck everyday. But I'm looking forward to trying them out when the play truck is done. But just from the little I've been on rocks just don't fit my driving style:wink1:. I like playing in the deep mud and climbing hills where horsepower and a heavy foot is your friend. Also say coming across a rock garden or something like that on a trail is fun but I just couldn't see myself crawling all day long. But I'll have to wait and see once I really give the rocks a try.