Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fireplug, Jul 20, 2006.

1. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

No, I never thought of doing that, but I wheeled the pee out of my 10 bolts (didnt really care), I went through mud and water all the time, and never had to repack the bearings. When I took it apart to do the D60 swap, I did not see the slightest damage from "neglect". I would just use a good synthetic grase and not worry about it.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have manual locking hubs alot of grease is bad for them. It can make them not function correctly. If you have driveslugs like some Jeeps do then it wont be a problem.

Harley

4. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

My concern is that if you are greasing because you have been in water, Where is the water going? Without disassembly you can't get rid of the problem that you are trying to solve. Plus your building allot of pressure around the hubs with all that grease which will cause them to act up as Hossbaby50 said.

5. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

That and the whole problem of removing and installing the grease fitting every time you take the wheels off.

Think the guy said remove the hub and pump grease until clean flows out.

I'd like it a lot better if the new grease could actually make it to the bearings. Kind of like those bearing buddies for boat trailers.