Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone try Baja Claws yet?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Jun 6, 2000.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>my BFG at's are wearing out and they're probably the reason i got stuck a while back. I would like to get baja claws because the truck is my daily driver and the school I'm going to next year is a half-hour drive on the highway each way. I want to get the 35x13.5x15 bias plys. Does anyone have these? How are they on the street? How do they wear?. What is the best place to get them from? The cheapest I have seen them is $220.

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I ahve never owned a bias ply but from what i have read they are a softer tire and were real fast like 20,000 miles fast! I would stick to radial if it were me doing the daily driver deal! I like the new radial SSR(super swamper radials)they have siping on the center lugs.I also like the new goodyear MTs nice 3ply side wall action with side lugs and very aggresive looking.Or just stick with a provin winner BFG mudterains. After I wear out my Dulop Mud Rovers one of the thre will be mounted up....
    Good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin

3. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>But aren't the SSRs made of a super-soft rubber compound to make traction out of such a little contact patch? I heard the Radial Claws have weaker sidewalls. The wider tire would be better for mud (what most local trails are). Anyone know how fast or slow the SSRs wear? any different than regular Swampers?</font color=blue>

4. clintsk5

clintsk5 1/2 ton status

they're working great for me!!!!!!!Drive better than bfg muds...wheel better too!

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Some guys off another board that I watch swear they will NEVER buy another set of SSR's. They say the sidewalls are too weak. The gripe on the Claws is they are loud, and small. A 35" is more like 33" tall. I'm thinking the TSL radial or the BFG mud will be my next set, I'm running BFG A/T right now and the damn things WON'T wear out. I've got 40k on them and still have better than half the tread. If the Muds wear anything like these do, therer gonna be hard to beat. The only thing I'm not liking about BFG is their choice of sizes (or lack of) in the 16" dia. I did catch a peak at the new Muds that are supposed to be coming, look pretty tough.

My $0.02

Kyle
    89K5

6. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Where did you see them? are they going to make them wider than 12.5? How much are they gonna be?</font color=blue>

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

My neighbor is running a set of 38"x16" Claws on his '73 Blazer. The things look fantastic, but he's only got em on 10" wide Alcoas, which looks funny...they need to be on 12"ers!

ken

9. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If BFG would come out with a 37 inch Mud Terrain, I'd be all over 'em. Love the 35's I have now, they just need to be a little taller!

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

10. Chris Demartini

<font color=blue>Those tires look cool. when are they coming out? will they be more expensive than the current MTs?</font color=blue>