Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone try this anti-hacking test?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by BurbinOR, Dec 8, 2003.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Port scan

Hope there's value here. Did it on both my work computer and home computer (both run through a cable modem into a router) and both were 100% secure. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Try the port scan........

Any feedback?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nice site, 100% clear for me also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Onehundredpercentsecure... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

All secure here too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now tell me, if my ports are completely invisible to the outside world...HOW CAN THEY SEE IT???? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Very cool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Another good resource is Gibson Research. This entire site was designed because Steve is a highly paranoid geek. He has some of the best 'FREE' penetration testing tools available.

[ QUOTE ]
    both were 100% secure

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

100% secure? Sure, you go on believing that.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

uh oh i think i need a fire wall... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From Gibsons site:

[ QUOTE ]
    Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    From Gibsons site:

[ QUOTE ]
    Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that sounds pretty cool until you understand that port scans and probes are very simplistic methods of discovering and identifying a target computer. Anyone who has the ability to read and type can get thier hands on various "tools" on the internet that will do different types of probes and scans to identify a potential target to exploit. If your computer is "invisible" to these scans then you shouldn't have to worry about them.

That takes care of the simple attackers, now you only have to worry about the guys who are really good at it...

... like the guy who is runing a packet sniffer watching traffic going to and from one of ck5's servers. Within a few minutes, he could collect not only the IP adresses of everyone currently browsing the site (even the ones that are "invisible") but he could also collect their usernames and passwords.

Question of the day: How many people use the same password for their computer accounts, banking software, Internet Service Provider and CK5? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There are a couple of things I don't do on my computer. I never buy anything online with a credit card, and I do not do internet banking.

So, my biggest securtiy concern is my CK5 password.

Rene

11. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my biggest securtiy concern is my CK5 password.

[/ QUOTE ]

A valuable commodity, well worth protecting. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif