Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone tryed/considered a barn door swap?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by darkshadow, Aug 2, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

have my 88 3/4 ton 8 pass 4x4 sub power all around, exactly what i wanted an loooked =for a long time for, exceped for the barn doors, i have a tail gate and hate it.
    i want to swap it, i think i can do it,

I can pull the gate and glass resiver, and make a post ing the body to bolt the doors to, ( i hurd that by my year they dident but the post in, the tailgate ones.

the top of the opening is the same i think but the bottom id different i would have to weld a pice from a barn door sub to make it work or make my own up...

any one try this?

i met a guy once up here that said a friend did it, that was why he wanted to but my old sub was for the doors. so it can be done.

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. Moose

Moose 1/2 ton status

Haven't tried it but I thought there was a post about this awhile back. I know I have always wanted to do it too mine I hate my tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You are correct in the fact that your year doesn't have the bolt holes or the support inside the posts.

There are 2 ways that you can do this:
    (a) cut out the door posts from the donor burb that has the barn doors and weld them in place on yours
    (b) weld in some 3/8" thick plate(minimum)inside the door posts with threaded holes for the barn doors to bolt too

Yes the top part is exactly the same(after you pull off the fiberglass surround that the lift gate window goes up into). The bottom part is REAL easy to fix. Just get the very end floor support out of the donor burb with the barn doors, then take that last floor support and put it in your burb(after you remove yours)its a direct bolt in and is whats needed and no having to fab something up.

Anymore questions just post up. I've done a barn door swap or two.

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

tazz you are THE MAN, sweet, that is roughly what i was thinking with the plate to bolt the doors to. one question my 91 burb as far as i can remember ( its been a while) had a small rectanglw cut out on the back of the burb that when inside and the screews were on the inside of the frame.

but i was looking at this scottsdale that sorrta had barn doors left (it was roten real bad) and the hinge when in on the opening so that the outside of the hinge was flush with the inside of the door. know what i meen?

mine had screw going throught the post then into the hinge, the scottsdale had the screws holding the hinge to the post.

so long story will different years fit on mine, or will any 81-91 fit?

thanks tazz
    dave /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

all barn doors will swap as GM only made one shape for them, just like the front doors will all interchange with all years from 73-91.

Sounds to me like your talking about that someone mounted the hinges on the OUTSIDE of the door post instead of on the INSIDE(thru the slot)like they are suppose to be.

Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. txtough

txtough Registered Member

I have the barn doors and have always wanted the tailgate. What about it don't you like? I know the glass can be trouble sometimes but you dont have an 8 inch piller you can not see through and you can ride the trails with the glass down for that "convertible" effect. So what else gives?

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Drive on up here an you and I can do a backyard end swap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I don't mind tailgates myself, I just like the convienence of being able to walk right up to the bumper to reach into the burb.

8. txtough

txtough Registered Member

Sounds like a great idea. I have wanted to take a road trip lately. If you'll split the gas with me, your part will only be about $2315.95.

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you'll split the gas with me, your part will only be about $2315.95.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Really??? I have barn doors and need/want the tailgate. Hmmm

11. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not haveing to roll downt he window to get in, anywhere it rusts it will rust where the hinges mount, and when you have a 4 inch lift and 36's you have to reach up and over to open it, and i just like it thats why /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I hate the gate. For on it really sucks especialy for my wife (5ft) to open. Then you have to load over the gate so basicly about 24 inches you have to streach in to load heavy stuff.

Then I use this to pull trailers and sometimes the tounqe jack is too close to the back of the truck to open the gate so if you have something to put in the back like a cooler you have to load it through the window or unhitch.

Doors you can still open with most trailers. Instant access without having to wait for the window to go down then open the gate (think about that next time its pouring rain and you need to thrwo something in). The only upside is a little over sized load in reguards to lenght but I got a cargo trailer too so even that is not a need ever.

Somebody got pictures of what needs to be added to make the ocnversion. I'm real interested in doing it.

13. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

For the pre 82 models:
    Doors and associated hardware
    Rear tail-pan support

For models after 82:
    Everything above, plus you have to cut the door pillars for the hinge mounting which were actually inside the pillars.

14. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i spoted this sub on a farm just rotting away it seems hasent moved more that 30 feet in 5 or 6 years, and has barn doors, gunna have to pay a farmer a visit.

i hate the gate soooo much i was going to modify my k5 to put barn doors on.

i figgered if i moved the top hinge down, then cut the doors off halfway, welded plate over the openings and the weld in nuts to bolt them back togeather with the top on, i would have the only barn door k5.

the the k5 got written off /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif, never know might get one of those wheel base chalenged trucks again /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif.

oh yeqah another pont, no power moter that costs way to friggen much to replace it you can find it, to get the gate open. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif