Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone twinsticked a 205?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, May 11, 2001.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

if so, how? id really love pics and details. im currently trying to figure out linkage for the sshift rails

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

There was a good article in Peterson's Aug 2000 that shows exactly how to do it right. The cheap and easy way is to just take the detent ball and spring out (there is a plug right over the front output shaft) and fab up some sort of shifter to work the 2 rods separately. Unfortunately this will allow things like front high with rear low that will toast the case (or shafts, or...) pretty quick. The best way is to grind the front shift rod a bit (as shown in the article) so that the detent can still prevent mixed ranges but allow front to be engaged with the rear in neutral.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. BadDog

Oh, and they used a slightly modified D300 dual stick but someone said they had made one using a longer bolt with 2 205 shifters and some custom linkage work.

Bad Dog

4. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

all i need is ideas how to make linkage from one shifter to each shift rail, i made a longer bolt to accomodate 2 shifters

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

do a search of pirate4x4.com forums, i saw that done on there. even had the pic on my harddrive for a while, think i deleted it though. was all painted red, pic was of bare chassis with engine and TC

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Mine works on a single shifter. I ground the rail and now going forward it is neutral, front low, four low. Going backwards it is four low, rear low, neutral. Works fine for me and I did not have to add the shifter since I already have two with the doubler. You have to have the offset shifter bar though, if you have the straight one it will not work.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

7. xtreme_wlr

xtreme_wlr 1/2 ton status

Pics of a setup i have seen:

http://65.11.18.114/images/twinstik205_2.jpg

Havent done this mod yet myself, but I do know that there is a detent ball that needs removed. Dont know which one as I am still waiting for the info on that.

'78 Chevy 1 ton Stepside RockCrawler
    468 BB, SM465, NP205
    D60 front, GM 14Bolt rear w/ Detroit
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://65.11.18.114>http://65.11.18.114</A>

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Removing the detent balls isn't gonna do it. All that will do is make you lose your detents so you won't have any idea where the shift rails are. There are two interlock rods that go crossways between the shift rails that control what relative positions are allowed for the two shift rails. I have heard of people removing these rods (case disassembly is required to remove them), allowing free movement of the shift rails. This is pretty dangerous, as it will allow the front and rear outputs to be in different ranges (one in high range, one in low range). This would be a potential disaster if you did it at any speed. The right way is to machine the shift rails where the interlock rods ride to allow the gear selection that you want, as was shown in the magazine article.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

9. BadDog

Ok, I'm no expert so you may be right. However, it is my understanding that the interlock rails work (lock out certain combos) based on the detent balls (called interlock "pills" in the Petersen's article). If you remove the outboard "pill", it should be possible to engage the front with the rear in neutral since the interlock rails will have no way to "know" that this is the case. Are you sure that this is not true? If I had more time, I would go out to mine and just test it but I have too much going on right now. My plans are to eventually modify the shift rod as indicated in the article so it matters little to me anyway...

Bad Dog

10. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Hey Butch hows it going.Hey i just read your reply.I just got my doubler together and would like too get the front wheel drive with the one stick.Could you post some better details or private me with them.Where you the one with the red 73-75 blazer ,4 speed on the Y2K5 run last year.If so is your doubler behind a 4 speed?Thanks.

11. BadDog

If you have more details on the "single stick", please post here. I would also be interested in that. Pictures?

Bad Dog