Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone upgrade to AGR steering? (77 K5)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DzrtRat67, May 27, 2001.

1. DzrtRat67

DzrtRat67 Registered Member

Anyone swap out their steering box for the AGR box/pump?
    I have a 77 K5 that needs the box repaired, and am considering upgrading to the AGR system. How easy is the install? Does it really make a noticeable difference? Anything you know now that you wish you knew then? etc etc.
    Thanks!

2. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The box and pump bolt right in. I have two of their pumps and one box. I run the AGR pump on my K30. Easy install but no real noticable change. It is a little noisier than the factory pump. The second pump and box is on my project K5. It is sitting in the garage with no life.......YET. So I don't know if it works any better or not. The AGR boxes are set up with the variable steering and this should help stability. The factory 77 uses a constant ratio box and it is a little less stable on the highway than the variable. That is why I bought the box.

3. 45acp

45acp 1/2 ton status

I installed both on a 83 GMC before starting a frame-off rebuild. I was amazed at the difference that I got from the installation. I could turn the steering wheel lock to lock with one finger will setting still on concrete. The one thing I wish I had considered before is the fact that I would eventually want to go to crossover steering and that means another steering box. The pump can stay. As far as ease of installing it, nothing is easy to reach but it is all very straight forward. Bill