Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use 1 3/4" .095 wall tube for a project?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Jun 7, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am pricing out tube for my bed and fenders/grill. The only place around here that has 1 3/4" .120 wants $30 for 5 feet! I get a discount if I buy in bulk but I have no need for 500 feet of tube.

I did find a place that has 20 foot pieces of .095 wall for $28. So I am wondering if anyone has used an .095 wall for anything. How would it hold up to being planted in rocks, dirt etc..? I am not using it for any critical components that my life would depend on just a bed and front end work.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

in a buggy, it might work... in a 5-6000 # truck, I wouldn't use it for anything related to safety. What did you want to use it for?

j

3. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

make your design with alot of gusseting and trianglation, and add more tube then you might normally use with stronger thicker wall tube and you will probably be fine. .095 is fine when its cromoly for a standard type cage. are you looking for atleast DOM if your going to run that wall tube?

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Check out Sapper's cage in the southeastern forum.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I was going to run it from the front down bars of the rollcage to the radiator support and make some tube fenders. Then run it from the rear hoop out the back and make a bed tied into the shock hoop and frame.

My truck is basically just a gutted out cab (totally gutted), frame, and drivetrain. It does not weigh much at all.

This is not for anything real important. I have the jegs 12 point cage for inside the cab. All this is going to be for is tube fenders and a bed off the back. Something else, my frame only comes 22" off the back of the cab and that is where I cut it off.

I guess my question is will this stuff crumple if I were to plant it in a rock? That is the worst thing that would happen. I have a piece of 1 3/4" DOM I am using for a stinger and I am going to tie that to the frame with some left over 1 1/2" 1/2 wall DOM I have.

It is HREW....

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

It will smash like a pancake if it meets a rock.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

What about DOM

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep and .120 (hrew) will smash like a pancake that is several days old. Mabey not that bad but tubing in anything less than .188 will not hold up to many hits on the rocks. Since your truck is lighter it will work better. How about using pipe for the things that are going to hit the rocks. I know its a different diameter you can bend it in your tube bender if you are very careful usually pretty cheap too. Let me say though not to use it in structural compononts but for bumpers and fenders and such it works well.

9. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would only use 120 1.3/4 DOM .....using cheaper material will only cost you more in the long run.

10. jekbrown

when you bend tube the outside of the bend invariably gets thinner. I've heard that 1.75" x 0.120 wall can get to around 0.95" on the outside of a bend. How thin will that 0.95" wall stuff be? Something to think about. If you do plan on using it, you might design your structure so that the outside parts of bends are the least likely to smash into rocks.

j

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

personally, I agree with this too but I get flammed everytime I say it :D .

12. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

Sounds to me like you just need to find another supplier.....

$6 for .120 wall 1.75 is silly pricing, I'm not paying much more than that for 2.0" .25 wall DOM, really, just look around and make a few calls......you'll find a better price.

13. jekbrown

x2. I just went in on a group buy for some 1.75x0.120 DOM and its gonna be below $3/ft. Not sure how much yet... but still. Anything that is 2x that is a scam! :shocked:

j

14. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

1 3/4"x.120 HREW runs $1.10 per/ft, Same size in DOM was about $3.50 per/ft.

Not worth the strength difference to me.

EDIT: Damn my membership ran out

15. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

These guys are trying to stick it in my a$$ because I am a consumer off the street. I am checking with a welding company to get some thrown in with one of the huge orders they make.

16. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I built my last truck out of 1.75x.095 and it didn't work. everything on my new truck is .120 and won't go any thinner from now on. cromo is definately the way to go but $ is definately a concern for me so it is not an option.