Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use a crossbow or bowflex?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Jan 4, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Can you get a good workout from a crossbow machine?
    I noticed sears has them on sale for under $500 with intrest free for 6 months. Looked into get a bowflex a year or so ago and WOW they are expensive... Crossbow if it works looks like a better machine, its made by weider, I use to use their free weights and benches in HS.

So what do you think of the Crossbow or Bowflex as a main workout machine? I had/have a Total Gym but it just made me dizzy sliding back and forth and up and down more than it gave me a workout. It was good for streatching though.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[darn] that... $500!?
    I got a gym membership a few weeks ago.. plan to go 5 or more days a week. I'm there pretty much only for the weight machines, not doing much cardio yet... Proccessing fee was about $50 and i'm getting ~$19 a month.
    This is about half of what 24 hour nautalis wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I signed up right before christmas... the bad thing is now its everyone's new years resolution so everyone is trying to get a gym membership and the prices went up.
    I guess one of those machines might pay for itself in a couple years... but theres hot chicks at the gym for motivation. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check the classified ads in your local newspaper. You can sometimes pick that stuff up cheap. Lots of folks buy the machine and then use it as a clothes hanger for a while, then sell it cheap to get it out of their way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    ... but theres hot chicks at the gym for motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah these are the girls I DONT want to see me working out at least for another 6months! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a gym membership a few weeks ago.. plan to go 5 or more days a week.

[/ QUOTE ]
    My total lack of motivation would keep me from going! /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    If it was here I would probley use it alot, even when my total gym was in the garage I would go out in the winter time and workout then practice on the punching bag for about 30minutes... If I had to go to a gym (the only one in town is the Y and its hella small) I would have to wait on machines and deal with other people wanting to use them and kids running around. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

5. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

ebay has them up the ying yang for half the price usually. I am getting the bow flex extreme because I want a picture of the gilr in the white shorts and sports bra.

John

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got a free Total Gym.... it's an older model. But if I was to ever buy anything, I'd buy a new style one. I love it. I hate to exercise (as proven by my fat butt). But this is so cool. I can set it up, turn the tv on, and go to it.

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Whats wrong with the total gym? Thats the one Ive been looking at.

8. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i used a total gym once..wasnt exactly a very difficult workout, even set on the steepest incline..maybe its just me but i like the looks of the bowflex style machine if you want low-impact workouts with good results..

9. ChevyCaGal

Nothing... I use it for low impact, which is what it's supposed to be. It gradually builds up tone and defination. If you want big muscles, then buy some free weights to use as well. I plan to start doing other stuff once I get back into better shape. I right now suck. I get exhausted doing anything. But I figure I can do for myself a nice round about work out routine and get some good results if I stick with it. To each there own, but I hated the gym. Mostly because I had nobody to go with. All my friends who went went to one that was not close to me, I wasn't gonna do the drive everyday...

10. jjlaughner

There's nothing really wrong with them. I used mine for about 6 months... if you have a long stroke (a stretch, some sort of a fly or row, you end up sliding up and down about 2 feet per rep...) I'm a pretty good size guy and even on a medium setting I was doing high reps and it makes you dizzy sliding 2' per rep 15-20 reps that’s 150-200 feet of movement in about 1 minute... it got old quick doing two or three sets of a half a dozen exercises. And when you wanted to change weight settings you have to slide the bench up and down constantly and I don’t know about others the clip on mine is a big pin and you have to hunt for hole to lock it back in.

The CrossBows on ebay still seem to go for $400-500… they are on sell now for $499 at Sears plus you can buy them interest free on your sears card.

11. ChevyCaGal

If you have a Costco membership, they sell the Boflex (Power Pro XLT) with all the bells and whistles. I just got a coupon for it for $200 off (expires Jan 18th). However it's like $1200 even with that discount. But if you are going that route when you finally choose, might be something to look into.