Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use a non-cv front driveshaft?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Oct 7, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am considering the idea of using a non-CV front driveshaft for my truck. I'm thinking it'd be the way to go because I wouldn't have to worry about it breaking and I think it'd take the angle better. I could use 1350 or even a 1410 jointed shaft to make it.

Any reason why it wouldn't work? I really don't see the need to spend the kind of money they want for a big CV shaft. I suppose I could always keep my stock shaft as a apare too.

Any reasons why it wouldn't work?

2. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i run a non cv shaft up front....with 1310 joints,,,havent broke it yet /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif.....and i know how to use the the long pedal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif...but i have a doubler....so my front shaft is pretty long and not alot of angle on it... left the hubs locked today actually went down the highway up to 55 or so seemed fine....actually forgot to unlock /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if u do it, go with the 1410s. The 1410 isnt any stronger than a 1350 joint really, but it does allow for greater operational angles without binding.

j

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yeah, I know, same size caps, just wider. Just curious if anyone else had tried this, I think it'd work out pretty well. I just don't see the need for the CV there, being 1310 I'm paranoid to snap that CV every time I let the clutch out!

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine who's a mechanic took the double cardon joint off his front shaft and in his words, "its smooth as glass."

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I run a CV-less front shaft with 1350's on each end. I've been using it for years now with no problems. I made this change on my truck because it's fairly tall and "normal" CV's just didn't last at that angle (and like you I was not prepared to spend $$$ on one of the big CV's).

7. jekbrown

AFAIK all the hardcore rock crawlers all run CVs front and rear... so there must be some advantage to them at higher angles. Im not saying a reg shaft wont work for your application... but lets not start thinking that the CV shaft is nothing more than a conspiracy by driveshaft shops to get our $$ or something...

j

8. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i think with some with some lifts or some transfer cases the crossmember may have to be modified so the shaft doesnt hit.on mine it looks like the cv helps to clear the crossmember a lot instead of a strait shot from the transfer to the front axle.

9. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

We ran a CV less front shaft, after the CV yoke broke an ear off.
    Installed 1350 joints and put the slip up top to help clear the crossmember. Worked great for a mud truck, 6" suspension lift, TH350/np205 and D60 front.

10. nvrenuf

I'm sure CV shafts in general offer great advantages to all in the 4wd world, if you can afford the right one for your application. As I stated, the standard CV's like the ones that came in our trucks OE were not lasting for my application (10", 4spd, D60 = short/steep front shaft) and I was not interested in spending $500+ for one driveshaft when I could achive the same with a CV-less shaft.

I never indicated in any way that they were not worth the money, just that I wasn't willing to pay the price.

11. jekbrown

whoa calm down cheif! i just noticed that the thread as a whole seemed to be suggesting that cv's arent good for much. At any rate, if your front shaft is short and at a steep angle, it'll be interesting to see how it does without one... you'll have to keep us posted.

j

12. nvrenuf

Sorry, didn't mean to sound ill in my response, I was fighting off my 10 month old while typing so I was aggrivated but not with you. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

My CV-less shaft has done well, I've run that set up for about 5 years. Most of the time I was running a 400 tranny but the last year I had a 4spd due to the tranny folding on me. I must admit that I did have to grind a bunch on the yoke for clearance but I have not had any problems, not even a u-joint failure.

I tell ya, now that I'm transfering every thing from my old K10 to a K5 I am worried that a fancy CV may be required on the rear. I really don't want to add that expense to the project budget but if I have to I will. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

13. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have run a CV-less front shaft for a while too and never had any problems to date. A lot of the trucks in this neck of the woods are running a single joint at the T/C - most of them due to excessive power and some because of extreme angles and they have not coughed up the cash for a super-duper CV shaft that will work at the extreme angles.Anyway - most of the trucks around here have been running a non-CV front shaft for years with no problems.
    As far as Johns truck ( NEVRENUF ) goes - I think it was a motor/power/traction problem more than an angle problem with his front shaft. His Roller BBC and heavy right foot in the swamp ( and at the race track ) demanded a minimum of a 1350 series joint in the front shaft.
    Tom

14. nvrenuf

Tom is just being nice, I only drive it to WalMart. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif