Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use air over hydraulic tube bender?

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Apr 18, 2006.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about buying a bender and I have been reading on pirate where people are using an 8 ton air over hydro ram to bend the tube. Just wondering if anyone has used an air over hydraulic? I have a 6hp 33 gallon compressor would this be enough?

Does the ram use a lot of air which would cause the compressor to run the whole time? Would it be faster to bend by hand?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

... I dont think so unless you were very experienced at start and stop points and knew everything there was to know about springback...also on larger material..like 2 1/2 inch the hydralic is the only way to go.. I can watch the bend happening instead of having to be the part theat makes it happen

and I need alot of experience... Ive only done one bend ..Im no expert

look here for good advive.. Im "welderman" over there.. alot of familar ck5 names are there..
    http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/index.php

hope this helps
    cam

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. I have been pricing benders and realized I have been abusing the platinum card a little too much so I am not going to buy one any time soon.

I bought the pre bent kit from jegs instead.

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

I saw a bender made with a motor and chains from a motorcycle. It basically used the small sprocket/big sprocket idea. Seemed to work well. I wonder if a winch from an ATV would work as well LOL. just pull the bender back haha.