Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use an Air-Nibbler vs Sawzall

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZZ4x4, Nov 5, 2001.

1. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Needing to do some fender trimming and I see these air-nibblers which say there is no metal distortion and they are simple to guide. They are pretty cheap. Anyone try this? Maybe I'll be the guinea pig. Thanks, JT

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you mean an air-saw they work great and do not shake the crap out of the sheet metal.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

3. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Actually, I don't think it is a saw I am seeing. It is a little hooked end tool which pulls the metal into a shear taking one little notch out at a time. JT

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I just saw one at work this weekend. One of the guys I was with was getting a lot of fender rubbing when we were wheeling so he hooked up his air tank whipped out the air nibbler and cut away. it went pretty quick and looked like a clean cut. I didn't get a chance to look at it up close but his name is <font color=orange>86TrailBlazer</font color=orange> if you want to ask him.

<font color=blue>It's easier to teach a child than to fix an adult.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/geltyone>Webshots Pics.</a>

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Air nibblers are a miniature shear that takes little "nibbles" out of sheet metal. Most are pretty small and work very well on thin sheet. However, they will not work on heavier stuff. Best part is, you can have absolute control for cutting curves and stuff. The sawzall is a brute that will rip (sometimes literally) it's way through most anything but can be hard to turn or make clean cuts in thin stuff. Ideally, you want both.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I used a electric nibler and a electric shear to do my trimming. I liked the way the nibler worked. You could do turns with ease but getting straight lines took more work than w/ the shear.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I have a nibbler and a sawzall but I did all the cutting on my body with a die grinder.To me it was just easier to use than the other two.

A balanced diet is a beer in both hands.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I use an air powered wiz wheel

9. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

the air nibbler does a great job on the sheetmetal, better than most other tools, but where you wont be able to use it is around corners and anything thicker than sheetmetal. If you end up using it it wont be the only tool you use, but when you do it will be nice and clean no sawzall wavy $h*#

10. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I used to use an air nibbler when I installed car stereos. Mainly to cut out rear decks for bigger speakers and it was great. You can turn on a dime with them. The only thing is...it was thinner metal that I worked with. I'm not sure how easy they would be to work with on a fender.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

11. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

can you define pretty cheap? i tried the sawzall and it was ok, i liked my B.F.H. bend/bang/smack job to round the lips of the 'wells better [​IMG]

-Zakk
    '77 K5 SB 400 TH350 NP203 p/t 6" Lift D60 14BFF 4.10's 36"Wrangler II's

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

12. gator1959

gator1959 Registered Member

the air nibbler is excellent but you need to have shears to take over on the long straightaway's, they leave nice corners w/out "ripping sh#@^&amp;t up. you just drill a hole to fit it in and get it started,you move slow enough that you can follow a line pretty easily.

'79 K-5,D-44HD(8-bolt),14 bolt(FF),4.09 ratio,427 rat,auto,38" rubber,currently taking body off frame

13. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks everyone. As far as "cheap" the air nibbler is about $28 at Harbor Freight. It will probably only be used once (for this purpose) but if the result is the best, it will be worth buying. I already have a sawzall and die grinder with cut-off wheel but I need to make a nice curve on the rear fenders and it seems like it would be tough with the bulky sawzall and impossible with the cut-off wheel. The front fang will be easy to cut with the cut-off wheel since it is a straight cut. Thanks again folks. JT