Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use an Ignition Control Box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lazydog, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Anyone use an MSD 6A multispark Control box, or any other Brand multispark discharge unit? How do you like it?. Did it improve emissions, power, mileage etc? Thanks

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i had one on my truck when i bought it, but it developed a short in it, and i took it off. it was an MSD 6A i think...truck definately started easier, and was smoother at higher RPMs

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have the MSD 6 Offroad box on my truck. I really like it. It improved throttle response very well with my carb, and also helped out with passing power, mileage, starts, and everything else they claim. Personally it is one of the best mods I have done. I also run many other MSD products because I was so happy with there stuff. Here is the full list of what I run.

MSD 6 Offroad Box
    MSD Cap & rotor
    MSD Super Conductor 8.5mm wires
    MSD Blaster SS coil
    MSD Coil wire
    MSD HEI dust cover

and hopefully sometime soon I am getting the MSD adjustable timing control unit and MSD Pro-Billet distributor.

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am using an MSD 6AL. I've had great results like Hossbaby50 has. I would recommend them!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

what kind of gains did oyu get from your dust cover? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I run a 6AL, MSD distributor, Blaster2 coil with Taylor 409 wires and I love it! The biggest benefit I noticed was that it cured my plug fouling problem (due to BIG carb). My set up is about 6 years old now and if it died tomorrow I'd buy all of the same stuff again.

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The dust cover is an adapter so you can use an external coil on a HEI setup.

Dan

8. Hossbaby50

DesertDueler is right. The dust cover is one there so I can run an external oil on a stock cap. I am running the Blaster SS coil which is supposed to be a better coil then the incap standard MSD HEI coil.

9. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the posts. I don't have a lot of money, Can I just use the 6A Ignition Control now, and then add other parts later? Did anyone change the module in the distributor?

10. Hossbaby50

You can buy the box now and add on the other stuff later. Also, if you run an ignition box like a 6A you don't use the stock module anymore. You don't need to upgrade it to the high output module because you don't use one anymore.

11. Lazydog

Lazydog 1/2 ton status

Okay I didn't know that. Do you remove it completly then?

12. Hossbaby50

Yep. your condensor and module come out completely. The MSD box hooks directly to the pickup coil leads that the used to go to the module. This is the way mine is setup. Mine was a 4 pin module. It might be a little different on the later 5 & 7 pin modules, but the directions are pretty good and explain everything well. Don't throw out the old condensor and module though. Keep them and there bolts incase something should ever happen to the MSD you can go back to the stock setup. I keep mine around just incase.