Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use antifreeze to balnce their big tires?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DPI, Mar 5, 2003.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I read on another board where I guy used it. Said it did not cause any issues. It won't rust, won't freeze, and you can tell when you have a leak.
    Can anyone come up with a reason not to use it?

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

weight maybe??? how much are you planning on putting in???

I know back home, they used antifreeze water in tractor tires to create weight for off camber situations. Never heard of it as a balancing solution. However, i hear bb's and golf balls work well.

3. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

i hear bb's and golf balls work well

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I dont get this theory?? How is it supposed to work? Does it really work? Who has/ is using this method? Is it just a hoax?

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the amount. I don't think you would need much.

What a gallon of H2O = 8 lbs. Not sure if anitfreeze has the same weight, but for this purpose it does. A half pint of antifreeze would equal 8 oz. of weight. Soooo, it wouldn't take much.

It would be better to have to much than not enough, I think. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yeah i've heard of the other stuff too. Everything from bbs to mouse balls. Just not sure if the noise is acceptable or if those non-liquid items will cause damage to the wheel or tire?

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It works w/ centrifical force, OTR trucks have a ring full of shot that does the same thing. They used to be avalibale for light duty trucks (1 ton and under) but were expensive and didn't sell well. Last time I checked they are no longer for sale.

6. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

Anybody heard of that sand-like tire balancing stuff? Whats it called? How much does it cost? Thanks.

Evan

7. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

The sand stuff is called equal or at lest thats one brand. When I bought my 39.5 Boggers last year from 4WPH I did the cash and carie thing and the counter guy offerd to throw it in for free if I brought White Trash(my blazer) to them to park out in front of there store for the day. But I never got around to it. They said it works great. As for the antifreez it would help some with center of gravity but what about the gyro efect on stoping

8. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

one of the products is called Eqaul its a polymer powder. The same type of product is labeled by other manufactures. It should be available through tire places, and off road shops. it costs around 8 bucks a tire.

9. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Anybody heard of that sand-like tire balancing stuff? Whats it called? How much does it cost? Thanks.

Evan

[/ QUOTE ]
    its called equal and i run it in my 38x13x16 in tsl swampers and it works great /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif it runnes about $8 per tire

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

They put Equal in my tires and I don't think it works that great... well if it does I'd hate to see how bad the tires were in the first place. I'm running new 38.5x16-16.5's and anything over 30mph is extremely rough.

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know back home, they used antifreeze water in tractor tires to create weight for off camber situations. Never heard of it as a balancing solution

[/ QUOTE ]

we have "loaded" tires on our tractors- its liquid chloride that's in them....we do have a problem with it eating the valve stems though- about once a year they have to be taken back to the shop and have them replaced and then reloaded...normally its only done on the rear tires- as a counterweight for the front of the tractor when a big piece of equipment is attached to the front...my tractor has them- cause of the snowthrower..

Brandy

12. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

do you know how many ounces they used in each tire? sounds like they didn't use enought in yours. The bigger and heavier the tire the more thier supposed to add.

13. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I have no idea. I was going to take them to another shop to see if they could balance them any better. Also.. are they supposed to use wheel weights with the equal? Because I have a ton of weights as well.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't confuse liquid measurement with that of a solid, they do not weigh the same. 8 fluid ounces DOES NOT weigh 8 onces.

15. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

16. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Hmm... so I could probably remove the lead weights and maybe that would make a difference in the ride.

That was an excellent page.. Thanks for sharing.

17. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Putting in a liquid in the tire will help. I came home from Daytona to find my old rig sitting on the rim. 4 cans of Fix-A-Flat later I had the tire up enuff to drive around the corner to air it the rest of the way. The tire didnt bounce nearly as bad after putting it in. Fortunately it was the worst out of balance tire on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Yes Fix-A-Flat comes out as a foam but turns to liquid after a while.

18. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Oh yea.. they also told me they did not use the special valve stems that are required with Equal. I think I'm going to take the truck to another shop and have it done properly with valve stems and all.

19. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

Do you loose any of the equal when you air down?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

20. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

If I have it correct you have to use dry air when you air up too with the balancing powder or it will ball up. Anyone have any poblems there? If I run a York for my air it will be anything but dry.