Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use CBs anymore?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 15, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I just put in my CB yesterday, and I've been scanning through the channels... they are all dead... no one seems to be using them anymore. Is it different on the freeway? Do truckers still use CBs to communicate between each other for road conditions/Police/speed traps/etc... or does everyone use Cell Phones now even OTR?

What are the best channels to sit on in your areas?? I've been on 19 all day, and heard ONE message the whole time.

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

19 is the "trucker" channel. It is what I was on all the time when I used to drive. I would use a CB now but I can't afford it currently :(

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Yup, CB radio is still big with the truckers and trail riding. On I-287 stuck in traffic in the morning it is a comedy show on the CB! I don't talk much though. It is good to have for interstate travel. Have used it many times for alternate directions and traffic reports.....

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Still talk on mine alot. I guess alot depends on where you live. Back in Omaha there is still a large group of locals BSing almost every evening, but up here the group is much smaller, and not as offten.

5. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I use mine on the trail all the time, and the one we have in our tow rig is always buzzing w/ trucker's shootin the bull.

Father-in-law is a long-haul owner operator and uses his all the time.

-Mike

6. PhoenixZorn

Cool... I'll have to test it out on I-94 tonight... I'm not so lead footed anymore, so it's not like I need the reports, but it's nice to be able to hear them.

7. tdcombs

tdcombs Registered Member

Weve got one in our semi but doesnt ever seem like theres much chatter on it even on 19. And usually the chat that is on it is just some dumb sob mouthing some other sob.

8. PhoenixZorn

That's what I've been reading all day... just a bunch of jackasses hogging the channels instead of using the band for intelligent and meaningful conversation/alerts and basically avoiding what it was designed for in the first place.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

AM sucks, now SSB you usely find better manners.

10. PhoenixZorn

SSB is 30 and up right Z3PR?

11. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Lots of talk here because of all of the traffic and I-10. Funny stuff and warnings. I listen all of the time. Its also great to have on th trail.

12. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Me and the crew I run with in AZ use CB's all the time. We use them on the trail alot. We use them on the roads to and from trails to warn of oncoming traffic or problems. We use them on the highway to keep in touch when we are caravaning out to the wheeling spots.

They are a great tool to have. Problem is the most range we can usually keep on the highway is 3-5 miles and alot less in the canyons we rockcrawl in.

Harley

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

SSB is single side band. All channels have upper and lower SSB. You'll need a radio with SSB to use it. My radio has AM, FM, USB (Upper Side Band), LSB (Lower Side Band), and CW. Plus many bands with 40 channels per band. But what I have is alittle more then a CB. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

10-4 good buddy.................. :xmas:

15. PhoenixZorn

I heard that these days, calling someone "good buddy" is like saying "hi fag."

16. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

I have one in every vehicle I have right now...even the two that dont move much at all. I listen all the time, talk to people i know the most, every now and again ill start talkin to truckers, specially when they are doin 75-80 on a 55 road then it gives me a reason to keep up with them :D
    Our farm tractors and combine have them too, so it was nice when I was in highschool to know where to go right when i got out of school(our farm was less then a mile from town so i could send and receive signal just fine)

17. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Ah camel filters.... can i bum one?

18. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

my stepdad got one for this roadtrip and then gave it to me, now i just gotta hook it up in the truck i dont have... :confused: maybe ill set it up in my house

19. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yes, it is.

Next time you are on 19 just start talking. If any truck drivers hear you they will probably talk back. Ask for a "radio check" or something. Or ask about how many miles it is until you pick up I-10, even though it is nowhere near you. Or ask what they think of Michael Jackson... just anything for a conversation starter.

20. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

There is a good bit of chatter near my place on 19 since I'm next to I99. But I also listen to channel 3 a lot because the stone quarry is nearby and they use 3. It's been very entertaining now since the quarry cannot let someone out that's overloaded. Before if you were a few hundred lbs over it was no big deal. Now if they are a few hundred over they gotta go back and dump some off. Makes for some colorful chatter :D