Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use GM Van steering shaft?

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Mudzer, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I need to look into installing 2 u-joints into my steering shaft because my Fullsize GM steering box is located in it's stock location, but the S-10 Cab is narrower. Someone told me they used a modified Van steering shaft that had the joints in it - coupled with a 3/4" heim to support between the two joints.

Good (or bad) thing about this setup, it has the ragjoint already installed. Anyone do this kind of mod to their rig?

Post up about general steering shaft modifications you have done.

If you used GM Van parts, please list the year and type of Van that had this 2 u-joint system. I looked at an older Chevy Van this weekend and it was a straight shaft without multiple joints.

2. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

Here's mine.

Starts with a splined coupler at the steering box that welds onto a 3/4" steering shaft, that shaft is made up of the telescoping part of the factory steering shaft (Dodge)

There is a firewall mount that the 3/4" shaft goes through, and it has a bearing eye that swivels.

Then to a weld on 3/4" to 3/4" u-joint.

More 3/4" shaft that is mounted with an oversized heim.

I have stops on either side of the heim, so the shaft won't slide up and down at the steering wheel portion of the column. It can only slide up and down at the part between the box and firewall.

Then another 3/4" u joint, and heim.

Then the weld on quick release hub, and 13" Grant wheel.

Notes: Make sure to phase the steering u-joints.
    I welded everything together after tacking it up and making sure it worked in the truck.

It's been great so far with no problems. (knock on wood)

Got everything from Stockcar Products.

If you need any more pics or anything let me know.

Ryan

Picture 045.jpg

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

backyardbuilt can help you out with the steering shaft stuff. He's got the whole skinny on it! give him a pm and I'm sure he will help you out.

4. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I swapped my rag joint shaft with a double u-joint shaft ut of a '95 or so Jeep Cherokee. One end fit right on the splined shaft at the steering box, but I had to do some fiddling at the steering wheel end of things to get the Jeep shaft to work.

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used a shaft off a 97 cavalier and lengthen it 11". It fits the column but had to grind the steering box shaft since it mounts with 2 flats instead of splines