Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone use herculiner on the exterior

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by elkboy, Feb 16, 2001.

1. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I'm almost to the paint phase on my project K5. After fixing a bit of rust I need to paint it to keep the rest of it from rusting. Being a trail rig, I'm either going for roll on bedliner on the exterior or give it a coat of International red tractor paint ( I've painted a couple of tracors but never a car). I'ts two tone red/white ( plus black and white primer and rust) Since I live near the coast I need to be able fix rock-rash/tree-rash damage with either a spray can or a roller. It can't be to ugly so I can park it in the driveway [​IMG]. Any one have any experiance on this subject or any ideas? I dont want to spend to much, I tend to drive with to much pedal and too little brain.

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

2. I've heard of guys using the bedliner on the bottom quarter of the vehicle and then painting over it with the body color so everything matches. I'm going to use hurculiner on the bottom quarter and leave it black. hurculiner rules! I did the bed and tailgate in my k5 and its tough stuff. Hopefully it will stand up to trail abuse well. My truck is ugly so i've got nothing to lose

3. Cozmo

Cozmo Newbie

Let me know who the hurculiner is working out. I'm thinking of
    doing my Blazer bed if it does not sell. Is it rough? Any sound deadening characteristics?

4. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

Hey, That's a good idea. Will the liner stick to painted serfaces or does the paint have to be striped first? Do you need to use any kind of primer?

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.

5. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I sprayed bed liner on my bottom quarter....mines black down there anyway so it matched. You have to roughen the paint up in order for it to stick decent.....other wise it will flake off easier. I think it looks pretty nice........only problem i have with it is that since it's textured down there......dirt is harder to clean off of it......it sticks in the grooves and makes it look kinda dingy compared to the other black on my truck.......but the nice thing is it's readily available in spray cans so you can just touch it up when ever you want.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

6. the hurculiner is super tough, it will draw blood. i didn't get any sound deadening, i completely stripped my interior for easy cleaning. all i did for prep was rough sand the surfaces to be pained-i think i used 120 grit-by hand. then wiped it all down with mineral spirits to remove any greese or oil. it's all in the prep. you may have more prep time if you have more rust or if your carpet pad was really glued down- that can be a pain. its worth it though, especialy if you see a lot of mud, you can't beat the easy clean up. good luck!

7. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

I had mine done with Line-x you can seen what bed liner looks like on a blue and white K5 on my web site

[​IMG]Hail To The King

http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by James90 on 02/17/01 09:54 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

8. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input. MICHIGAN BLAZER, you said the mud is hard to get off the bedliner. How much worse is the cleanup over regular paint?

[​IMG]<font color=red> Elkboy</font color=red> [​IMG]

9. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

What did it cost to line-x your rockers? The guy out here wanted 400 for my suburban rockers, I think I'll roll on herculiner for 30

10. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

the place I got it done it was 75.00 a side on any truck so mine was 150 for both

400 is way too much it sounds like that guy is trying to rip you off

[​IMG]Hail To The King

http://photos.yahoo.com/jwileywilliamson

11. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't say it's hard to get mud off.....mud sprays off just as well on my rockers as the it does on the rest of my truck....but i usually have to take a bristle brush to scrub it to keep it from looking too dingy. I mean the black on the top half of my truck's paint doesn't get dingy looking....the residue just wipes off.....but for some reason the dirt residue just likes to stick to it......not real noticeable unless your looking up close. It just sticks in the grooves and ripples and bumpies of the bedliner.....but then again you might not have that problem if you actually spend some money on a good quality spray on bedliner job......mine was cheapy back yard work. I still like it. I've taken a can of regular black spray paint to undingy it too.....you just need a little squirt to make it look new again.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

12. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

A friend had his 72 K5 done in Bring Orange, looked really good....He just got it done so he had not comments on durability or cleaning...I believe he said it cost about $1,200.00 for the whole Blazer....It was very rough texture and I had some concerns regading mud stains???
    Good luck-

rezalB

Built for a purpose.