Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use Mud Kings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Apr 20, 2004.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Looking at tires. Has anyone used Mud Kings? If so, how long did they last, how did they do in mud and/or rocks, etc? I will be driving to the trails, but it is not a daily driver. Will probably be putting a spool in the 12 bolt as I will be swaping in a 14 over the next winter. Thanks for any advice.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I run them on my daily driver. They have very excellent tread life for the street and trails and mud. Only drawback to them is they only have a 2 ply sidewall /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif but i haven't punctured one yet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I almost got the Mud Kings . I do have Sport Kings . They are both made by BFG (Michelin) . Good tires for the price and last a long time. I bought a set of USED 32's from same manufacturer and got 20,000 miles from them before they were spent, don't know how many previous owner got out of them. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've got close to 30,000 miles on my 33 Mud Kings and they still have 5/8" to 3/4" tread left on them /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I've got close to 30,000 miles on my 33 Mud Kings and they still have 5/8" to 3/4" tread left on them

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats probably what I am getting next. My tire guy will do me for 540 out the door , mounted , balanced and warranty. That is a lot less than any more mainstream named tire. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Sounds like they will work until I get the Boggers. Thanks for the info.

8. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

i got some on my truck seem to work pretty good howl a bit but not to bad...

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I had them on my old Bronco and loved them.

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They don't last too long if you run them aired down with lockers. The tread width is kind of narrow for a 12.50 section-width tire.

I have used mine probably 40% offroad and 60% onroad based on mileage. As far as hours, probably 95% offroad. I ran them on the expressway for 1000 miles and they tend to heat up a little more than I like with 33lbs front and 30lbs rear. A lot of those onroad miles were from last summer when I ran with 24lbs front/18lbs rear almost exclusively because I was going out in the woods no less often than every few days (but speeds rarely exceeded 45mph).

I've got around 9,000 miles on them including the 3,000 miles or so I figure were on them when I go them. There's about half tread left. But, like I said, they have quite a few miles on them being aired down and the thousand miles on the expressway seemed to heat them up quite a bit.

I don't have any real complaints other than the narrow section width. I haven't had any punctures with them.

If I were going to buy new tires on a budget I'd probably get Kumho Venture M/Ts.

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    The sidewall is very weak(by Design).
    Since its not a dd get a bais ply you'll be better off.

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I watched someone loose 2 in one weekend. One was wheeling and one was a instant blow out at 75mph on the hwy. I would never put them under my truck.

13. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    was a instant blow out at 75mph on the hwy. I would never put them under my truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

That can happen with any tire. Way to many possibilities there.

14. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

i had them on my 91 k5 for about 2 years and i got them used, and sold them before with about half tread. I would not use them if you will be doing much in the way of rocks, but if you do JUST mud and road they are good Cheap tires.

I think between me and the 2 other guys that had the tires we put about 50k on them.

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Are they still selling them? I haven't seen those tires advertised for a while. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Medalist Mud Kings and Regul M/Ts are the same tire and both are being sold still. They're a "house brand" tire. Limited production runs... blah blah blah.

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

They are still around....The lower line tires most places offer come and go randomly.

Any Blaines Farm and Fleets near you? They sell them here, but only said 33" last time I asked. 35" tires are seeming to be more difficult to come by from the local places /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

18. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any Blaines Farm and Fleets near you?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Yeah...and now I remember that they carry 'em too.

/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

My buddy has them on his 2-wheel drive Dodge. He swears by them that they are so much better than his stock tires. He went through some tough [darn], for a 2-wheel drive.

20. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I am just looking for some cheaper tires to run for a year or so as the K5 grows up. These look like a good bet for transition tires. Thanks for all the info. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif