Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone use por-15?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xpndbl3, Mar 2, 2007.

1. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if anyone has used the por-15 and how they liked it on their axles? I need to coat a dana 60 front and 2 14bff rears, any idea how much por-15 that would take to coat everything? Did you all use the pre-treat as well?

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the metal is bare, as in clean and no rust, treat it with the metal prep, which etches the metal. I had my housing acid dipped, and used those products, and other than scrapping it off, it holds up great, I would think three housings you should be able to do with a pint. It doesn't keep well for more than a couple months.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have used it. On clean metal I usually just get a spray bottle and spray a salt water mix on it and leave it outside for a week. That gives the rust a hold and in turn gives the por 15 something to hold on to. I love the stuff.

4. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I've used por-15 and its not bad, but there is something better and cheaper that not many people know about. I promote this stuff every chance I get because I like it so much. Its called Chassis saver and made by a company called magnet paints ( www.magnetpaints.com ) The stuff is just like por-15 and allows you to paint over rust. Ive painted the frame of my truck with it and my 14 bolt. its been 3 years and looks just as good as when I painted it. Check it out. There silver version of it is awsome if you have anything thats really pitted, because each quart has something like 3lbs of aluminum in it and it fills cavities really well. The stuff also coats better than por15. Finished that you foam brush on look like spray jobs.

5. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i did it 4 years ago and hold up well but it will come off when draged over the rocks

6. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

Question from Arizona...what is rust???:D

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Boy you gonna get a wuppin.:rolleyes: Someday I will come down there and find me several rust free blazers and then come back to Idaho and make a fortune. Rust free trucks don't exist here

8. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

:angry1: :angry1: CRAP!! I was really hopeing that it wouldn't happen, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I have been holding off for weeks on coating my axles as I wanted to be sure all of the covers and stuff are off so that I won't have to grind the stuff off later to change diff fluids. Guess I have been overestimating it's strength a tad.:rolleyes:

9. k2mslskier

k2mslskier 1/2 ton status

He he...sorry, I just had to put that in there. I feel for you guys that have to deal with that all the time. I see your pics sometimes and it just amazes me what rust can do to a body/frame. I realize how lucky some of us are having 20-30 year old original Az trucks that are completely solid.

If you're looking for anything let me know, I have a thing or two for sale and could probably find some stuff down here.

10. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

i have used it a lot and am very happy with it. but it does scrape off rather easily.

11. elwhitey

elwhitey Registered Member

I have used it and it works great, just gotta make sure the metal is prepped ahead of time.