Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone use repro doors-good or bad?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 72chevydsl, Mar 25, 2006.

1. 72chevydsl

72chevydsl Registered Member

I am thinking about getting some reproduction doors for my 72. Has anyone here used them or have anything good or bad to say about them. I was thinking about going with the goodmark doors. Thanks

2. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

72 Gmc Drs.

I can only comment on Goodmark. It is a great company to deal with. Service and availability is very good, as is quality. They are right on with there size. Perfect fit!!!

Careful with shipping. They showed up at my door with a $600.00 shipping bill. I had to refuse them and call the shipper. Finally worked aprice to $100.00 from Va. to Pa.

It is straight forward to hang them, but you may have use a 2x4 in places to tweek them into place, be careful where use push on as they are only sheet metal and can dent rather easily. As long as you push on a supported part of the door ie. where there is a seam or doubled metal, you will be fine.

As far as patch panels go, these pcs. require a great deal of fitting. Right now I am putting in floorboards,"A" and "B" post lower,kick panel, front body mount, rocker panel and lower rear 1/4 panel patches. All require a great deal of patience as mounting them reguires a great deal of time, but it is worth it in the end, or you can pay a body man a large sum of money!!

Goodmark is the only company that can make exact fit parts, they are an OER manufactor, licensed by GM, they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Only ship by truck as UPS will not cover any damage on over size packages.

Give me a shout if you need any further advice... J.

Careful with your latches, I have seen alot of doors dented on the inside top where guys have used their shoulder to force the door open, don't do it, it dents very easy, make sure they open and close easily, it will save you from getting pi$$ed off!!

3. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

I would agree with above post...be VERY CAREFUL with the shipping! I ordered two new doors from Classic Industries to use with my blazer. When I tried to hang the driver's door....it was a mile off! I knew it wasn't the frame because when I would try my old door it fit like a glove. I returned both of them in the original packaging and insured them. C.I. refused them for shipping damage and UPS wouldn't honor the insurance. UPS kept one of the doors to inspect for damage and I never got it back although after MUCH fighting and arguing I did get the insurance on one the doors. Then like two months later UPS sends me the least damaged door back which I promptly fixed and sold.

Although I have heard good things about Goodmark I learned my lesson about aftermarket parts. Depending on what part of the country you live in you can find originals in good shape without rust. I ended up finding two rust free original blazer doors for 75.00 a piece and a complete blazer passenger beside for 200.00. Up here in Eastern Washington there are lots of 67-72 trucks still running around in great shape. I would think in you should be able to find something in So. Cal without any rust. Good luck!

4. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

for a blazer or a pickup? i would like to know how the doors for a blazer work out.... i heard the goodmark truck doors are ok...

5. Moody

Moody 1/2 ton status

If you go aftermarket you will have to use truck doors for a blazer. As far as I know nobody makes aftermarket blazer doors. Assuming that the aftermarket door is a quality reproduction and fits well you just need to cut the window frame off at the top of the pillar. This is pretty common fix and mosty body guys I have talked to have done this quite a bit.

6. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

well there is additional steel by the hindges on the inside of blazer doors, for the support, other than that, they are the same

7. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

GMC Pauls sells repo Blazer doors http://gmcpauls.com