Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use Spray-in home insulation?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Mar 9, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a 1920's house with the "blown-in" insulation that was done sometime in the 80's. The stuff is pretty nasty. It irritates the crap outta me when I'm in the crawl spaces or attic. Tonight it's bugging me 'cause I just opened up another wall and the stuff has been falling down from above inside the wall constantly as I work inside the new opening. I just blew massive nasty black crap outta my nose...

I've seen the new spray in insulation, and I'm wondering if it's something I can do myself. I still have/want to insulate the ceiling joists in my attic, and I want to re-insulate my crawl spaces.

Anyone have any experience with it? Is it expensive? I can't find any do-it yourself info on the web, just services.

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I've seen it in a few new homes around here, It looks prety easy to put in, they actually did it before the drywall went up, they put 4" in a 2x6 wall and got some pretty good r-value, Ive never seen anything in a harry-homeowner version though.

BTW what did you end up doing with the plaster cornice in the house?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, it looks like cake to put in, and seals perfectly. The fire-retardance properties are very attractive, too, since the house is made of timber that's been drying for 80+ years...

I'm working on a site for my whole progress on the house, but for now, I have random pictures... I left the corners plaster and re-plastered the more-damaged parts.

Here's a shot of the the semi-finished product:
    [​IMG]

Here's a quick page with a couple "during" shots on it:
    http://www.rratch.com/housequick.html

Thanks for asking!!

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Very Nice /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I wish I hadn't gotten to the point of hateing old houses I'd re-do the one were in now. I am however looking forward to the new one were gona try to start building early summer /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif or as soon as we sell the one were in now.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Thanks. I'm near the point of hating it, but I think when we're done, I'll be happy. If "done" is ever a state we'll see...
    The hate (for me) comes from most of the work being repair, rather than improvement. I'm thinking about putting some money or todays newspapers (meaning a paper of the day I seal the wall) in some of the walls and sealing them. So if the house lasts another 100 years, and my kids or some future owner decide to work inside the wall for whatever, they can get either a nice surprise, or a look at the state of the world at the house's last freshening...

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have it in my house.
    at Lowes or home depot, what ever ya got out there they rent out the machines to do it. think its like 15 dollars a day plus cash down. not sure. it ie easy to do. get the cellulose. not the yesterdays news newspaper crap. cellulose does not irritate, and is better at doing the job. they need to recycle paper for other stuff.
    grant