Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone use the Master E2182 for TBI?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigJohnson, Jul 30, 2003.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I have been told this is a popular pump for TBI swaps. I bought one and it has what appears to be a 1/2" intake and a 5/16" outlet. This is a problem since I am using 3/8" rubber line to hook it up. It is also rated for 80-100psi which is a little more than I would like. Has anyone used this pump and if so how'd you hook it up? Any other sugguestions for a cheap external pump?

Thanks

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm not familiar with that pump but I would be hesitent about using it on a TBI system due to the high pressure (TBI pumps are under 20 PSI). It would be more appropriate for a TPI system. IMHO

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Thats too much pump for a stock TBI. The stock Injectors wont handle more than 35 psi. That much pressure can also blow the rubber diaphram in the stock regulator out causing a major fuel leak.
    Unless you have a heavly modified motor and TBI/regulator, the stock pump is more than enough. If you want more pressure to the injectors get an adjustable regulator. The stock pumps put out around 15+ psi.
    If you are going to use that pump you will need some kind of inline regulator to drop the pressure down to levels that the stock stuff can handle.
    Holley has inline pumps for TBI
    Also turbocity.com has them
    There not cheap. Dont buy a cheap inline pump they usually fail.

4. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

If your talking about external pumps, I just ordered a Master E8153 and its suppose to be as close to the factory in tank pump as you can get, I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll let you know.

5. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

Well....I did some extensive reading today and found the Carter P74017 and Master equivalent pump the E8153. They are both considered universal ext. TBI pumps. The Carter is rated at 10-14psi and 30GPH. It also comes with 3/8" barb ends and a mounting bracket. Its not a bad deal for $66. I was wanting to up the pressure on my injectors some for more fuel as I am putting this on a Vortec. But...I think with the homemade adjustable fuel pressure reg. mods I did last night I should be able to do that.

I read on Pirate's boards where several people were using the P74017 with good results. I would really like a 20-25psi output and I know I can't get that with the Carter. I will measure the PSI when I get it hooked up and see.

Many people do run the E2182 and the E2000 for TBI and they put out 80-100psi. John from CustomEFIS recommends this pump and ships them with his kits. I don't think he uses a second reg. just the stock one. Another concern of mine, considering the stock reg. would hold up, was the fuel return line. Seemingly with that much pressure the return side would see more volume. I have a 1/4" return line from the diesel and was going to run 3/8" hard line since I had extra. However, my thinking was that even with the 3/8" it still goes back to 1/4" in to the sending unit that would create a bottle neck for flow and make the bigger line not worth the effort. What do you guys think?? Should I just leave the 1/4" line or put in the 3/8". I was hoping by going with the lower psi pump I wouldn't have to worry about this.

Also, if anyone is interested in using the E2182 for TBI or TPI you can get brass female NPT to 3/8" hose barb adapter to make both sides 3/8". However, the E2182 I have has a fixed outlet that is 5/16". The E2000 I have has a removable inlet and outlet that could possibly be adapted to work.

K5DRAGER, let me know how the Master E8153 works out. I may have to swap one more time for that one. The nice thing about it is you can get it at Autozone and Advance with a lifetime warranty and get a new one anywhere anytime.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

6. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Got mine at autozone, 49.99 lifetime warranty, but they did have to order it and took 3 days to get it. If it works out it might be worth the extra piece of mind to carry an extra.