Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone used a GM 350 HO 330hp crate motor in your K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wy4tt, Apr 14, 2005.

1. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Just wondering. I just swapped out the tired old 350 in my '79 Jimmy for the 350 HO. I was a little worried about torque, but it seems to be fine so far. And this is with the stock rear gears (3.07?). I'll put the 14 bolt with 4.56s in this weekend and that should pick things up as well. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else had experience with this crate motor.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Try doing a search on ZZ4, the RPO code for that engine. There was just a thread on it in the last week or so. :cool1:

3. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I put that motor in about a year and a half ago. I love it. It has a great power and torgque curve. Haven't had any problems with power or torque. I'm running 35's with 4.56's. The only suggestion I can give is get rid of the Holley carb that comes on it (piece of junk). It won't work on angles and IMO the 600cmf that somes on the engine is nowhere near big enough. Swap it out for a 650 or 700. But other than that it's a nice setup and works great.

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I beleive the ZZ4 is a different engine then the 350 HO.

5. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if you bought the motor new what did it cost ? What is the H.P. and torque numbers it is supposed to put out ?

6. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Yes, the ZZ4 is a different engine. The ZZ4 has 355hp and the 350 HO has 330.

Mntnman, what carb did you put on? I agree the Holley doesn't belong. I tried to switch it out when ordering, but the vendors get these engines direct from GM and you can't change the way they come. A quadrajet seems like the way to go, and I still have the QJ from the orig engine. Guess I could have it rebuilt and put it on.

Mudslinger, I paid around $3600 including shipping. That's with no tax (I'm in CA). Comes pretty much ready to run. Just get a fuel pump and the other stuff (alternator, starter, etc.) and it's ready to go.

I will mention though that the orig starter did not work. The flywheel diam was too small to work with the orig starter. The recommended starter is one of the small, hi torque starters (was orig on '88-91 Vettes).

7. wy4tt

wy4tt 1/2 ton status

Forgot to add, the 350 HO has 330 HP and 380 torque.

8. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I'm a big slacker--I haven't swapped carbs yet (because then I wouldn't be able to complain :D ). I have a quadrajet from an old motor but the bolt patterns don't line up with manifold on the new motor-the new motor has vortec heads so the manifold is wider than my previous one. I think that theres an adapter plate to make everything line up but I don't know for sure.