Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone used a "Rough Country" lift kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5mudder, Apr 21, 2003.

1. 89K5mudder

89K5mudder Registered Member

Anyone used a \"Rough Country\" lift kit

Have any of you guys used a rough country lift. I was thinking of buying one and want to get some feedback on what you think about it.

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Re: Anyone used a \"Rough Country\" lift kit

Way to stiff, buy a tuff country ez-ride kit.

3. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

The price was right, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hey, another Wisconsin guy. What city do you live in?

I'm running a 4" Rough Country system. That's all I could afford at the time...if I had to do it over again I'd go with BDS. The Rough Country is a very stiff ride - your Chevy is truly "like a rock" when running the R.C kits. But other than that I don't have any complaints - nothing has needed replacing, all seems like pretty decent quality stuff. It will have been on my truck for 3 years this coming July.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I just installed a Rough Country 6" kit on my crew cab 3 weeks ago and I like it but I agree with everyone - it's stiff as hell! I knew that the RC springs had one of the highest spring rates available so I opted to sacrice the ride in order to ensure the truck didn't sag later.

It rides like crap but it's a lifted truck, if I want to be pampered I'll ride with my wife. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look at Tuff Country , it seams to be the lift of choice around here. BDS is also good.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i put the 4" all spring lift kit on from R\C and i LOVE IT, rides tight, gives you a good feel of the road, only problem i had putting it on is what problem yu'll find anyway if you do another kit, and that was the leaf spring eye bolts were rusted to the metal sleve in the bushing, and that made it a pain to remeove, that and the steering arm and alighning the steering arm isnt hard just have someone watch it while you adjust it, hell 459$ for a all sprung kit complete with arm and shocks isnt bad, and dont order the extended lines from R\C they [censored] me on those and alot of other people to since they couldnt get them out because they didnt have any, goto napa and use the extended part numbers, they worked great i just used the extension bracket for the rear line. over all the thing rides nice to me, the customer suport was great, ask for Jack he is the best guy there. unless your a old man who is concerned about supeior caprice classic style ride with other kits that cost a arm and a leg, or springs that will sag on you from hard use, choose other, but if you want a great complete kit that will satisfy your reach for the sky, and the best bang for your buck, choose rough country. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifRough country lifted /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I agree!! I bought a Rough Country kit cause I was 15 at the time and couldn't afford much. The truck had a sagging 2" lift(I think) and I put a 4" lift on it with dual shocks up front(lots of desert driving) and singles in the back. It rode smoother than before and gives a good feel on and off road. I love it. I have plans to 4link it, but that requires more money...and I'm working on it. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have the skyjacker soft ride system- springs all the way round, and LOVE It....I've ridden in both a roughcountry and a TC blazer- and mine blows it away....its not stiff at all- but it's also not "springy"....its perfect.

Brandy

10. Eck

Eck Registered Member

I have a r/c 4" and the kit was very complete. It is stiff but it is what the budget allows. For me it was a matter of get r/c or not a lift so it was an easy choice. If money was not a factor I would go with softer. The savings are another couple hundred of buck towards some used tires.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i put the 4" all spring lift kit on from R\C and i LOVE IT, rides tight, gives you a good feel of the road, only problem i had putting it on is what problem yu'll find anyway if you do another kit, and that was the leaf spring eye bolts were rusted to the metal sleve in the bushing, and that made it a pain to remeove, that and the steering arm and alighning the steering arm isnt hard just have someone watch it while you adjust it, hell 459$ for a all sprung kit complete with arm and shocks isnt bad, and dont order the extended lines from R\C they [censored] me on those and alot of other people to since they couldnt get them out because they didnt have any, goto napa and use the extended part numbers, they worked great i just used the extension bracket for the rear line. over all the thing rides nice to me, the customer suport was great, ask for Jack he is the best guy there. unless your a old man who is concerned about supeior caprice classic style ride with other kits that cost a arm and a leg, or springs that will sag on you from hard use, choose other, but if you want a great complete kit that will satisfy your reach for the sky, and the best bang for your buck, choose rough country. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gifRough country lifted /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Personally I like a good quality ride verses something that feels like a old lumber-wagon. Ever stop to think WHY Rough Country is so cheap ??? You'll pay more for higher quality, but if you're happy with a rough ridding, non-flexing suspension, kewl. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. Erich_in_AZ

Erich_in_AZ 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... but if you're happy with a rough ridding, non-flexing suspension, kewl. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'm running a R/C 4" setup, and I don't really seem to have a problem flexing it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Ride is 'tight' on the road, but the truck doesn't lean, or feel unstable when cornering. I also don't feel excessive body roll on side hills, but if you guys are happy with body rolling, mushy riding suspension, kewl

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

13. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

ive got the 4inch sus its great
    ive broken 3 shims, and a phone call and day later they replaced em. cant complain too much. rides fine too.

14. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I had one and boy did it live up to its name "rough". The springs were blunt cut and not tapered and it road like a ton of bricks. Run some rs9000s and Tough Country ezrides and you'll be happy until you go to coilovers or custom springs. But thats my opinion...and its true

15. 87sm465np208

yep, body roll is a issue, rough country has it coverd, as you see from Erich_in_AZ it'l flex, who cares about flex when your mudding and hill climbing anyway, it will flex just not as easy as those loose suspensions, to each his own.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

16. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

I have it on mine and it seems fine. It was cheap so I wasn't expecting too much. For the price, you can't beat it. By the way, its advertised as a 4" lift but I swear mine is closer to a 6" lift. Overall I have no complaints. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

17. 87sm465np208

yea its nuts, a 6" lift for the price of a 4" lift from r\c. and your right again, cant beat the price. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

18. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I've got the 2.5" lift on mine. Rides better that the stock springs. I wasn't going for flex as much as stability.

RC sent the wrong shocks in the kit. When I called they Fed-exed the correct shocks to me and told me to keep both sets. I was very pleased with the service!

Kent

19. WhiteWhomper

WhiteWhomper 1/2 ton status

Stiff scmiff. I run 4" Rough Country springs up front along with Alcan 4/5" springs in the rear. My rig rides super nice, not rough (no pun intended) at all. My rig flexes realy well and even flexes so much in the front that I have to use a limiting strap or chain hooked to the axle when I wheel to keep from pulling apart the drive shaft. (I need to get a long spline shaft someday) I recommend the Rough Country 4" lift for any budget concious K5'er.

20. 89K5mudder

89K5mudder Registered Member

I live in Random Lake wisconsin. That is just south of sheboygan