Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

anyone used the B&M + 3 qt trans pan?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by WantedaDodge, Dec 22, 2004.

1. WantedaDodge

WantedaDodge 1/2 ton status

Looking at the B&M + 3 qt chrom trans pan for my blazer's 700r4... It's only $48 and comes with filter, ext, and gasket...

You guys think it would get ripped off or should I worry about ground clearance to much? Gonna add an external cooler as well.

A good buddy that rebuilds trans told me you can never have enough cooling for your tranny. He said if you keep it cool and clean, it should last forever.

Synthetics are going in it as well when I service it!

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With a 700R4 and a 208 case you can't run a deep pan, or so I have been told. The front driveshaft will hit the pan.

Just get yourself a BIG stacked plated transmission cooler and a Perma Cool External filter kit. A trans temp gauge is a good idea too. 700R4's hate being overheated. They will die quickly if you overheat them alot.

Harley

3. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

Yeah you can. I run a B&M deep pan on mine (700R4, NP208) and the driveshaft clears fine. I also only have about 2.5" lift in the front.

I don't recomend the B&M though, cheap piece of ****. Very thin sheet metal.
    I'm going to reinstall the factory pan next time I have a reason to remove the pan.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I remember hearing that some of the deep pans don't work. It might have been the really thick cast aluminum pans. I don't know for sure though.

Harley

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Aluminum pans

My friend gave me a deep aluminum pan for a TH400--one of his customers had bought and installed it,and said it leaked like a sieve,so he had him put the stock pan back on..we noticed the gasket had slipped inside the pan--nothing wrong with the pan!--its still in the toolbox in my diesels truck bed!:blush: --do you think its worth putting it on??--looks like it holds a gallon of fluid!...:crazy: .

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I run a +3 Hughes aluminum cast pan on mine. I have had problems with it seaping (not really leaking), but could never identify if it was the pan, or the case. It's now on a new case and I guess I'll find out soon when I fill it...

7. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I use a summit aluminum pan... all pans should not be overtorqued... use the good gasket not the cheapie ones... mine is great on my th400... the gasket actually needs atf to swell to make it not leak... I think it was a great deal ...about 75 without logos
    cam

8. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I am using a 4+ quart extra capacity aluminum pan from PML. I forgot the website. maybe yourcovers.com ? I have a 700/208 with 4" lift I told them about the driveshaft being close when I ordered it, so they ground off any excess aluminum that protruded to the right of the truck. I also had them tap for a temp gauge. I have run some very flexy stuff, and although the driveshaft looks real close, it has never hit the pan. I am really happy with the quality of the pan. It has never leaked or seeped. It's pricy, around 200, but well worth it. I use GM gaskets, and filters when I service it. I also installed a Flex-a-lite 18K cooler, although I probably should have gone with a stacked plate one, but I already had this one lying around, and I use Mobil 1 fluid. The hottest I have ever seen my trans get is 175 when driving in the sand on a 97 degree day, so this setup works great for me. during normal driving my temp is usually 135 and goes up to 150 if I'm really pushing the truck. I have a new GM reman unit so I am doing everything I can to make this last.