Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone used these headers/will they fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lochenjons, Mar 28, 2007.

1. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

I have some hedman headers #69090 which are for 2wd. I read the tcase crossmember might be in the way? Is there some way I could get them to fit? Anyone used these likes/dislikes? I have '77 blazer. (and yes I know I'm in CA and there's problem there :mad:). Also what should I use to clean these up a bit? I have two sets and one has very light surface rust in some places and the other set is covered in rust (surface) on the inside and out.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The full length hedmans I've got hang too low for the taste of most that wheel their trucks. I doubt the crossmember will be in the way, they'd have to be pretty darn long for that to be an issue!

More likely what you read is that the output of the headers is on the same plane of the x-member, but it is far enough away that you simply use a bend in the pipe to go over or under. On a '77, probably cleaner to go over.

3. lochenjons

Well these are the 2wd version so hopefully they work

4. lochenjons

I measure em and took a look at my truck and it looks like itll fit, Itll be close but I have more room with my tcase dropped

5. lochenjons

Ok they fit! BARELY. I got one of them almost on, but the bolts I had were messed up and I lost the other ones so I have to get more. With them loose, they just barely touch on one of the bolts holding the shackle togeother. Once tight it should be barely not touching. the tcase crossmember isnt a problem, but it would be a pain to have exhaust connected to the collector without the tcase being dropped a little. So I got lucky. And they dont hang any lower than my setup before and actaully my exhaust pipe should still go exactly where it was before right above the tcase crossmember

6. lochenjons

Ok they fit, but only if I go straight :mad:. I turned the shackle bolt around so the head is pointing towards the headers for maximum clearence. But when I turn it barely hits it, enough that I can feel it obviously enough. I think it's only hitting on one side (I think the drivers side) because its almost hitting on that side when I go straight but the other side still has plenty of room. Is there anything I can do to make these fit? Sand it down a little? Anything? Maybe heat them up and bend them slightly??? :confused::confused::confused:

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Couple of options, one I haven't tried that I expect will work the best. With the exhaust cold, find a 2x4 (or larger) chunk of wood you can fit between the frame and the header, allowing you to get maximum leverage on the header near the collector.

Now get the truck/exhaust up to operating temp, and use that 2x4 to pry the header away from the shackle. Obviously you don't want the exhaust pipes hooked up while doing this.

This is the exact same issue I had with my Hedman's, (and they are supposed to fit!) so I tried a ratcheting tie-down around the collector, to a tree on the opposite side of the truck, and the 2x4 trick, but not with the exhaust hot. Both moved the collector over just enough so it cleared, but I think with the pipes hot, it would probably move easier and further, plus actually stay in place instead of springing back close to where it started from.

Ratcheting tie down would have worked better if it wasn't nylon, as the straps stretch too much. Still think the hot exhaust/2x4 method would be the simplest and most effective.

As my dad said, there is tons of room under these trucks, it isn't like they are so rare or different that a header can't be easily made that will fit.

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

9. lochenjons

I read all that before I tried to put them on. I didnt buy these though. Two sets of them came with a truck I got for free that I used for parts and I wanted to throw them on my truck and behold! I did. If I'd bought headers, I probably would have gotten something a little more legal around here too :haha: