Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone used Verle Stevens ENT. for a motor build?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Apr 20, 2005.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I had them build my roller 350 2 years ago and quite a few things are really fishy about. For starters, I bought a used roller motor from a 91 cop car and dropped it off. Had them put sportsman II heads, a performer rpm intake, and do a basic build/balance on it. Well, once I fired it up, it made a terrible racket from the timing cover. I pulled it, took it back and they said someone forgot to tighten the cam retainer bolts. I barely drive the truck, maybe put 3000 miles on the motor, and it has gone through a set of plugs (NGK's) about every 500 miles due to oily suit, not to mention it smokes when I start it, and there is a nice black spot on the ground under each tailpipe after it warms up. Yep, both of them. It smells like a rattlecan rebuild to me, and aside from pulling a head to see if the pistons are stamped .030 over, and doing a compression check, what do you guys think? Main problem now is I live 2000 miles away in Rochester NY.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You might want to post the location of the shop in question.......

Regardless, it sounds like you got taken. Do you have any written reciepts stating the details of the warrantee(if there is one)?

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

My first 700 i burnt up was the same deal, i took that sucker out and shipped it to him and demanded him rebuild it again, and he did. Might want to/have to do some shipping. :) good luck

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

They are in Denver, off colfax.
    Verle Stevens Enterprises
    7575 E Colfax Ave, Denver, CO 80220
    The whole cam thing was a pain in the butt, I put the motor in a week before I moved to NY and had to leave the truck there because of it. Went back a year later to pull it and take it back.