Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Anyone using 15" alloy wheels on 14bolt FF drums?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shum1, Jan 21, 2001.

1. shum1

shum1 1/2 ton status

Anyone using 15\" alloy wheels on 14bolt FF drums?

Ive heard that steel pokes will fit but I'm not sure if aluminum wheels will fit due to their thicker castings, anyone know? Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Anyone using 15\" alloy wheels on 14bolt FF drums?

I would imagine that the extra thickness of the aluminum rims would be towards the inside of the tire. Don't know 100% for sure though. Anyways the fitment over the rear drums is pretty well a non-issue, even if they do touch the drum a little, it turns with the tire anyways. [​IMG] It's the front that is all the fun.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>The only company that i've ever seen make 15 alloy wheels is Weld. They were custom-made ( $$$$$ ) and require driveshaft brakes. If you want fancy alloy wheels, you need 16" (limited tire choices) or 16.5" (can't air down). </font color=blue>

[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>pavement queen with shinny paint job and car tires</font color=blue>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It takes a lot of caliper grinding to make 15-inch steels fit up front. Alloys are much thicker, so I'd be surprised if they fit at all. I haven't seen any 15-inch, 8-lug alloy wheels in my search. Some from Weld are mentioned above, but it sounds like you have to remove the brakes on the wheels and go with a brake mounted to the driveshaft. That wouldn't even work in your application, unless you want to keep the front hubs locked all the time so the brakes would work.

If you don't air down, 16.5-inch wheels are OK. I'll be getting rid of a nice set of aluminum slotted 16.5x9.75x8-lug wheels soon. I air down off-road and need to go with the 15 or 16 inch wheel.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>